It’s finally arrived – the debut of standing starts in the IZOD IndyCar Series. Understandably, some of the drivers are nervous; after all, Toronto usually delivers a steady rate of attrition and that rate could go up considerably if one or more drivers messes this up. In that situation, Graham Rahal (starting 18th) and the rest of the drivers going off from the rear of the field may have nowhere to hide. “Starting in the back, we’re going to be in the midst of all the mess if something happens,” he said on Friday. This could be a race-changer, right off the bat.
GANASSI IN THE GROOVE?
Last week’s podium sweep at Pocono Raceway had to be a major boost for Chip Ganassi Racing, and they look set to continue that momentum in the Toronto doubleheader with Dario Franchitti on pole for today’s race and Scott Dixon (your pole sitter for tomorrow’s Race 2) starting fifth. Franchitti, who finished third last weekend on the “Tricky Triangle,” has a decorated history at Toronto with three victories to his credit at Exhibition Place, while Dixon has collected four Top-5s in six career starts there. And don’t forget about Charlie Kimball, who turned in a strong drive to runner-up last summer in T.O.
Andretti Autosport’s James Hinchcliffe is always the crowd favorite when the series heads to Toronto, but he hasn’t gotten the results he’d like on his home course. In 2011, he finished 14th and last year, he had to bow out early due to engine problems. Today, he’ll start unofficially from Row 7, but if he can get through the potentially hazardous standing start, he has the ability to pick his way through the field on a street circuit that’s unforgiving but also features multiple passing opportunities.
BOURDAIS SET FOR BATTLE
Four-time Champ Car champion and former Toronto winner Sebastien Bourdais made a welcome return to the front of the grid for today’s race, and it would appear that he and his No. 7 Dragon Racing Chevrolet team have already benefited from the perspective of new engineer Tom Brown. Time and again throughout his career, the Frenchman has delivered some dazzling efforts on street circuits. Could we see another today? Watch out for him on the standing start, as he has a good bit of experience with those thanks to his previous life in Formula One (Scuderia Toro Rosso, 2008-2009).
Watch this weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto online and on your mobile device.
Status Grand Prix has set its sights on winning the 2016 GP2 Series championship following its decision to close down its GP3 team at the end of the current season.
Earlier this week, GP3 issued a statement confirming its team roster for the next three seasons that featured new entries from DAMS and Virtuosi Racing.
However, both Carlin and Status did not appear on the list, signalling that both had opted to leave GP3 at the end of 2015.
Status first entered GP3 back in 2010, but only set up a GP2 team in 2015 after taking over the old Caterham Racing operation.
This will now become the main focus for the Irish outfit, though, as explained by team boss Teddy Yip Jr. earlier this week.
“Status Grand Prix has not renewed entry into the GP3 Series from 2016 onwards in order to maximize focus on our GP2 campaign,” Yip said.
“Having finished second in the team championship in the inaugural GP3 Series, we have enjoyed six successful years in the category collecting nine race wins, 26 podium finishes and vying for numerous team and driver titles.
“We are very proud to have given opportunities and achieved success with drivers such as Robert Wickens, Antonio Felix da Costa, Alexander Sims and our current GP2 race winner, Richie Stanaway.
“We now look forward to finishing the 2015 GP2 and GP3 seasons on a high before mounting a robust GP2 title campaign in 2016.”
Both GP2 and GP3 return from a one-month break next weekend in support of the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix.
Two-time Formula 1 world champion Mika Hakkinen has heaped praise upon Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen, supporting his decision to ignore team orders during last month’s Singapore Grand Prix.
Verstappen only turned 18 on Wednesday, but has already made a big impression on the F1 world during his first 14 races with his aggressive driving style and mature approach to racing.
In Singapore, Verstappen was told by Toro Rosso to let faster teammate Carlos Sainz Jr. go past, but refused to give up his position and eventually beat the Spaniard to finish eighth.
Writing in his Hermes blog, Hakkinen backed Verstappen’s decision to stay ahead and praised the Dutchman for his performances so far this season.
“A driver must be alert and keep track of what is happening around him at all times,” Hakkinen wrote. “That’s what Verstappen is. He does not simply let anyone pass if it’s not for the world championship, but only a few championship points.
“Verstappen is 18 years old, but the guy’s already a real pro. Young people are developing incredibly fast nowadays, and by that I don’t mean just drivers.”
Despite having more than half a season of F1 racing under his belt, Verstappen only gained his road driver’s license on his 18th birthday, having previously been under the age limit to drive a regular car in public.