UPDATE: Ryan Briscoe breaks wrist, Munoz to replace Sunday at Toronto

1 Comment

Panther Racing has confirmed that driver Ryan Briscoe will not compete in Race 2 of the Honda Indy Toronto weekend after sustaining a broken wrist in an incident during today’s Race 1 at Exhibition Place.

Briscoe will require surgery for a fractured distal radius bone in his right wrist, but could be available again as early as the next IZOD IndyCar Series event on Aug. 4 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The Australian was running 12th when contact on Lap 65 between Charlie Kimball and Justin Wilson sent the latter into Briscoe’s No. 4 National Guard Chevrolet. Briscoe sustained his wrist fracture while holding onto the steering wheel, and was promptly taken to a local hospital for precautionary X-rays.

Briscoe later tweeted a picture of himself and his injured wrist with the message: “Yes folks, I broke my wrist today… What a pain in the…… wrist! Docs say I should have a speedy recovery.”

“All of us at Panther Racing hate to see this happen to Ryan, but we’ve spoken with [IndyCar orthopedic consultant] Dr. Terry Trammel and the quick recovery time for this type of injury is very encouraging,” Panther Managing Partner John Barnes said in a team statement. “We all wish Ryan a very speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back in the National Guard car very soon.”

In the same statement, the team said that they will announce tomorrow morning whether they will use a replacement driver or withdraw from the remainder of the weekend. However, Firestone Indy Lights championship leader Carlos Munoz has said on Twitter this evening that he has received the nod to take over the No. 4 tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Briscoe’s injury may also impact his full-time duties in the American Le Mans Series for Level 5 Motorsports. The ALMS is racing next weekend at the Canadian Tire Motorsports Park road course outside Toronto.

SUNDAY, 8:15 a.m.: Panther Racing has made official what Munoz said yesterday – the 2013 Indianapolis 500 rookie-of-the-year will make his first road or street course start in IndyCar on Sunday.

“Carlos is a tremendous young driver with a great deal of talent,” Panther Managing Partner John Barnes said in a team statement. “We’re excited that he was available to drive the National Guard Chevrolet today on such short notice, and I’m sure this will be a great learning experience for him. We’re obviously wishing Ryan (Briscoe) a speedy recovery, but also very happy to make the most of this opportunity with Carlos today.”

Munoz, who had said earlier in the week he’d be unlikely to race any further IndyCar events, at least with Andretti Autosport, is pleased with the opportunity.

“I have to thank John Barnes, Panther Racing and the National Guard for this opportunity,” Munoz said. “It’s unfortunate that it comes as a result of Ryan being injured, but I’m excited about making the most of this opportunity. Toronto is a challenging circuit, but just watching practice and qualifications the last few days it’s obvious that the National Guard Chevy is fast and I hope to help bring the team a great end to the weekend today.”

Williams confirms Kubica and Sirotkin for Abu Dhabi F1 test

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Williams has confirmed that Robert Kubica will enjoy his third Formula 1 test outing with the team at the end-of-season running in Abu Dhabi next week as rumors grow regarding a possible race seat for 2018.

Almost seven years after his last F1 start, Kubica’s remarkable return from severe injuries sustained in a rally accident saw him enjoy two private tests with Renault before completing running with the team in a 2017-spec car in Hungary over the summer.

Reservations over Kubica’s capabilities prompted Renault to pass on giving him a seat, instead opting to hire Carlos Sainz Jr. for next year, only for Williams to become an alternative for the Pole.

Kubica tested a 2014-spec Williams at both Silverstone and the Hungaroring in recent months, and will now sample a 2017 car when he tests at Abu Dhabi’s Yas Marina Circuit next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Kubica will share track time with regular Williams racer Lance Stroll and Russian youngster Sergey Sirotkin, who has worked with Renault over the past two years but also missed out on a 2018 seat.

“Williams Martini Racing is pleased to confirm it will run Robert Kubica and Sergey Sirotkin for the Abu Dhabi Pirelli tire test, alongside current race driver Lance Stroll,” a statement from the team reads.

“The Pirelli tire test will take place over two days at the Yas Marina circuit during the week following the 2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“On day one Robert Kubica will drive the FW40 in the morning session, before Lance Stroll takes over in the afternoon.

“On day two Sergey Sirotkin will drive in the morning and afternoon sessions before handing over to Robert in the late afternoon.

“The test is aimed at evaluating 2018 candidate tires on behalf of the Formula 1 tire supplier Pirelli.

“Williams is excited to have this opportunity to assess the new tyres across such an interesting range of drivers: Lance, as confirmed race driver for 2018, Robert with his huge experience, and Sergey as a very promising young talent in Formula 1.”

Williams denied earlier this week it has signed Kubica to partner Stroll for 2018, but indications are the deal looks very likely to go ahead, subject to the relevant paperwork and contracts being finalized.