Justin Wilson will pull double duty for the remainder of the 2013 racing season. The lanky, talented Englishman will dovetail his usual commitments with Dale Coyne Racing in the IZOD IndyCar Series along with running the last four GRAND-AM Rolex Series events.
Wilson will partner Gustavo Yacaman in the No. 6 Tuvacol/AERO Riley Ford Daytona Prototype for Michael Shank Racing. A veteran of MSR, Wilson last raced with the team at Watkins Glen at the end of June, and will race with Yacaman at Road America, Kansas, Monterey, and Lime Rock.
As there are no schedule clashes between IndyCar and GRAND-AM the rest of 2013, the arrangement was possible for Wilson to serve as both co-driver and mentor to Yacaman. Yacaman will co-drive with AJ Allmendinger at next week’s Brickyard Grand Prix at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
“It was great to team with Gus (Yacaman) at Watkins Glen and to get back into a Daytona Prototype,” Wilson said in a release. “It has been a long time since I had the chance to race at Road America and Laguna Seca, so I’m really excited about those weekends. I’ve never been to Kansas or Lime Rock, so those will both be new challenges for me and Gus to take on. The Shank guys really do their homework, so hopefully we can be competitive right from the get-go every time out.”
Remaining races for IndyCar, GRAND-AM
Aug. 4 Mid-Ohio July 26 Indianapolis
Aug. 25 Sonoma Aug. 10 Elkhart Lake
Sept. 1 Baltimore Aug. 17 Kansas
Oct. 5-6 Houston Sept. 8 Monterey
Oct. 19 Fontana Sept. 28 Lime Rock
Valentino Rossi may extend his contract with Yamaha in MotoGP until the end of 2018 depending on how he fares in the opening stint of the coming season.
Rossi has won a motorcycle world championship on nine occasions, and came within just four points of a 10th title in 2015 when he narrowly lost out to teammate Jorge Lorenzo at the final race of the year.
Rossi, 36, heads into the final year of his Yamaha contract in 2016, and confirmed to Sky Sports Italia that he would be seeking an extension until the end of 2018 depending on how the beginning of this season goes.
“At the end of 2016 my contract will expire, so I will have to decide whether to continue for another two seasons or not,” Rossi said.
“If I continue, it will be for two seasons as all the contracts are for two years.
“It will be like 2014 when I said I will look at it after the first few races. You have to look at the first five or six races then start thinking.”
Rossi had considered walking away from MotoGP at the end of 2014 after a quiet return to Yamaha the previous year, only for his early-season form to convince him to sign a two-year extension.
2015 GP3 Series champion Esteban Ocon will race in the DTM championship this year with Mercedes in tandem with a reserve role in Formula 1 at Renault.
Ocon joined Mercedes’ junior program in the spring of 2015 before becoming a fully-fledged member at the end of the year just days before his GP3 title success.
The Frenchman was known to be considering a move into either DTM or GP2 for 2016, but will now replace F1-bound Pascal Wehrlein at Mercedes’ factory team for the new DTM campaign.
“It’s an incredible feeling to be part of such a professional and strong racing series,” Ocon said.
“I’m very pleased to be driving for Mercedes-Benz. It’s the best team in the DTM and I’m very grateful for this fantastic opportunity.
“Mercedes is the most successful manufacturer in DTM history. You can only achieve that with real passion and hard work, and those are characteristics that we share. After driving in free practice during the final race weekend of the 2015 season at Hockenheim, I can’t wait to start a DTM race.
“I obviously have a lot to learn, but my goal – and that of everyone in the team – is to fight for wins as soon as possible.”
Trident has completed its line-up for the 2016 GP2 Series season by signing Indonesian driver Philo Paz Armand.
Armand has previously raced in a number of European Formula Renault 2.0 championships, and most recently took part in half of last year’s Formula Renault 3.5 rounds, scoring one point.
Armand will now step up to GP2 for the 2016 season, racing alongside 2015 GP3 runner-up Luca Ghiotto at Trident.
“We are very excited to start this collaboration with Philo and we are confident he will express all his talent thanks to the team’s help,” Trident team manager Giacomo Ricci said.
The grid for GP2’s support series, GP3, is also beginning to come together for the new season following the announcements of Tatiana Calderon and Honda junior Nirei Fukuzumi.
Calderon moves into GP3 from FIA F3 and will race for Carlin, while Fukuzumi joins ART Grand Prix, continuing the French squad’s association with Honda.
Fiat-Chrysler CEO and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne believes that Italian car manufacturer Alfa Romeo must consider entering Formula 1 with a team in the near future.
Alfa Romeo last raced as a constructor in F1 between 1979 and 1985, but has enjoyed no involvement within the series since 1988 when it supplied engines to the Osella team.
Marchionne believes that a return to F1 would be an effective way for Alfa Romeo to grow as a brand and gain more public awareness.
“In order to restore their name, they must consider returning to Formula 1,” Marchionne told Italian publication La Gazzetta dello Sport.
“Alfa Romeo are capable of making their own chassis, just like they are capable of making their own engine,” he added, before conceding that it could enjoy an engine supply from Ferrari should it wish to enter F1.
Marchionne believes that adding more manufacturers to the F1 grid is key to safeguarding the long-term future of the series.
“In the end this sport must be saved,” Marchionne said.
“The important thing is to make other car manufacturers enter grand prix racing.”