Auto Club Speedway - Day 2

Andersen: We need to create interest in the value of Indy Lights

1 Comment

The Mazda Road to Indy is officially under one promotional direction for all three rungs, now that Dan Andersen’s company, Andersen Promotions, will license and operate the Firestone Indy Lights Series starting in 2014. Andersen also owns and operates the Pro Mazda and USF2000 championships.

In a wide-ranging interview on ESPN 1070 the Fan’s “Trackside” radio show in Indianapolis Thursday night (Andersen’s interview starts with 58:25 remaining in the podcast), Andersen outlined some of the challenges he faces and goals he hopes to achieve with Indy Lights.

“We need to create interest back into Indy Lights as a great career path,” Andersen told show co-host Kevin Lee, also one of NBC Sports Network’s IndyCar pit reporters. “Drivers do not view Indy Lights as a good choice or a good value. My job is to get them to see it’s a terrific value compared to other worldwide options. I need to tell that story better than it’s been told.”

Indeed compared to the tangled web that leads to Formula One, where any path of GP2, GP3, World Series by Renault, Auto GP, Formula 3 (a shadow of its former self in some areas), you name it, IndyCar’s path is direct through the Road to Indy ladder. And, as Andersen attests, it has worked with the increased number of Lights graduates making it to IndyCar within the last several years.

“What you look at the front row, all out of Indy Lights, it is working,” Andersen said of the front row at this year’s Indianapolis 500.

Ed Carpenter, Carlos Munoz and Marco Andretti are three of 18 drivers in this year’s 500 who have competed in Indy Lights either in its current incarnation (2002-present) or previous (1986-2001). Indy Lights champions who have raced in IndyCar this year include Tristan Vautier (2012), Josef Newgarden (2011), JR Hildebrand (2009), Townsend Bell (2001), Scott Dixon (2000), Oriol Servia (1999) and Tony Kanaan (1997).

Some of the tasks Andersen and his staff will need to tackle beyond the car count and interest level is signing off on new deals with tire and engine manufacturers for the future. Andersen said he hopes to have an announcement on a tire partner within a few weeks, while RFPs have been sent out to possible engine manufacturers, with at least “four or five” rumored in consideration. Partners in both aspects need to activate the series and its participants, Andersen said.

Andersen confirmed there won’t be a new car for 2014, instead slating that for 2015, but said there seems to be increased interest from prospective teams. He’s optimistic of a field of 14-16 cars for 2014, with that number topping 20 when a new car introduced.

The last bit of news he hit, and we’ll expand on this when we have further details, is that some USF2000 and Pro Mazda programming will appear later this year on the NBC Sports Network. Cameras were set up for their opening rounds and while no TV deal had been in place, highlight shows will be shown later this year. It ensures some of the young talent within these championships will get noticed.

Lorenzo looking to Honda, Ducati for help in MotoGP title race

ALCANIZ, SPAIN - SEPTEMBER 27:  Jorge Lorenzo of Spain and Movistar Yamaha MotoGP celebrates the victory on the podium at the end of the MotoGP race during the MotoGP of Spain - Race at Motorland Aragon Circuit on September 27, 2015 in Alcaniz, Spain.  (Photo by Mirco Lazzari gp/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jorge Lorenzo hopes that he can get some help from the Honda and Ducati riders in his championship battle with Yamaha teammate Valentino Rossi in the final four races of the 2015 MotoGP season.

Lorenzo currently trails Rossi by 14 points at the top of the riders’ championship, and with just four races to go, barring an unlikely run of results, the title will go to a Yamaha rider for the first time since 2012.

The formbook offers little in the way of clues for the Lorenzo/Rossi battle, for although Lorenzo has won more races, Rossi has been more consistent, finishing off the podium just once this season.

Lorenzo had hoped to reel Rossi in last time out at Motorland Aragon, but the Italian rider managed to finish third, minimizing the damage of his teammate’s victory.

Nevertheless, Lorenzo was pleased to bounce back after two disappointing races at Silverstone and Misano, having lost ground on Rossi in the title race.

“I am very happy with this victory because it came after two races that were a bit disappointing and I expected to take more points, but due to a few factors and especially the weather, I failed to achieve the desired result,” Lorenzo said. “The victory in Motorland [Aragon] was crucial.”

Rossi was beaten to second place by Honda’s Dani Pedrosa after a titanic battle in the closing stages of the last race, and Lorenzo hopes that the Spaniard, among others, could aid his cause inadvertently again in the remaining four races.

“[Pedrosa] was very strong and it was useful to recover the points lost earlier and it has given me more chances to recover with four races left until the end,” Lorenzo said.

“But [Marc] Marquez or maybe the two Ducati riders could also stand in front of Valentino and take away some points. It is a real possibility, but very dangerous for us both.”

The next round of the MotoGP season takes place at Motegi, Japan next weekend.

Steiner: Haas F1 Team could not afford rookie mistakes

KANNAPOLIS, NC - SEPTEMBER 29:  (L-R) Gunther Steiner, team principal of Haas F1 Team, Romain Grosjean of France, and Gene Haas, owner of Haas F1 Team, pose for a photo opportunity after Haas F1 Team announced Grosjean as their driver for the upcoming 2016 Formula 1 season on September 29, 2015 in Kannapolis, North Carolina.  (Photo by Jared C. Tilton/Stewart-Haas Racing via Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Günther Steiner has said that Haas Formula 1 Team could not afford to have its drivers making rookie mistakes during its debut season in the sport, reasoning the decision to only sign experienced racers for 2016.

On Tuesday, Haas unveiled Lotus driver Romain Grosjean as its first signing for next season, luring the Frenchman away from Enstone after ten years of association.

The second seat is set to go to either Esteban Gutierrez or Jean-Eric Vergne, who both work as development drivers for Ferrari and both have at least two seasons of racing under their belt.

As team principal, Steiner (pictured left) will work under team owner Gene Haas, and said that both had agreed that a rookie driver for season one would be unwise.

“We looked around a lot to find the right guy because we wanted somebody with experience but still hungry to do something, to go with us this long way,” Steiner explained.

“I started talks with the management of Romain in Barcelona to see if he’s interested and, you know, we spoke to quite a few drivers, and in the end I spoke also with technical people, what they think about Romain, how he develops a car.

“We have got a steep mountain to climb here, new team, all new team members, so we needed somebody who knows what he’s doing. I think in the end we found the right guy because he has so much ‘want to drive’ now, and he’s still aggressive or still wants it.

“He’s not [so] young anymore that he’s inexperienced. We lose time by having accidents or doing rookie mistakes. I think we just picked the best one out there for what we are doing, and we focused on him and got him, and we are very happy and we are looking forward to working with him.”