NASCAR compelling because of “wonderful stories,” says NBC Sports’ chairman


Mentioning the sport’s historic rivalries, the different generations that have raced in it, and how every track is unique, NBC Sports Group Chairman Mark Lazarus feels that NASCAR – which he considers a “tent pole property” for both NBC and the NBC Sports Network – will be a great fit with his company’s signature style of sports coverage.

“The mantra that we live by is two things: One, we want to tell great stories, and NASCAR, what makes it so compelling is there are wonderful stories,” Lazarus said in a conference call with reporters following today’s announcement of NASCAR’s return to NBC.

“…We believe that we take the time to develop those stories, develop the personality, make sure fans know the rivalries and why they should care about them, and that’s what we spend our time doing in all sports, and we think that NASCAR suits that production value very well.”

Lazarus indicated that NBC will use many avenues of content and promotion in order to expose NASCAR to a bigger audience. For a sport that, while still relatively popular, has also cooled off noticeably since its explosive run into the mainstream a decade ago, that has to be good to hear.

“What we have found and what we have learned and what I think we’ve demonstrated over the past several years is that when we’re able to have a property…And we’re able to bring an audience and surround it with content, both on broadcast, on cable, in digital by promoting and marketing using our [regional sports networks], that we’re able to bring a level of awareness to a sport, to a property that is equal to or unparalleled in the industry, and that’s what we intend to do with NASCAR.

“By having this mix, what we always do is make big events bigger, and that’s what we’ll do each Saturday and Sunday from July on, starting in 2015.”

For the full transcript from today’s conference call, you can click here or visit the NBC Sports Group Pressbox website.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski