Country Music Stars Attend The Brickyard 400 Presented By Big Machine Record Label

Ryan Newman wins Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis

4 Comments

Indiana native Ryan Newman has realized his childhood dream of winning at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, capitalizing on a slow final stop from Jimmie Johnson and going on to win the Brickyard 400 from the pole position.

Johnson and Newman were first and second, when the five-time Sprint Cup champion made his final stop with 27 laps to go. However, the four-tires-and-fuel stop clocked in at a slow 17 seconds for Johnson. Newman then pitted from the lead one lap later for fuel and right-side tires only, and was able to get out in front of Johnson on the track.

Once the green-flag pit cycle concluded, Newman re-assumed the lead with 12 laps remaining and went on to take the checkered flag by 2.65 seconds over Johnson, who led a race-high 73 laps but was denied what would have been a fifth career triumph at Indy.

“[Crew chief] Matt Borland made an awesome call,” Newman said to ESPN in Victory Circle. “I’ve won more races with him on old tires and [being] out of gas than I have with four tires and the best car…This is a dream come true for me and I can’t wait to go and push my lips against those bricks!”

As for Johnson, he accepted his defeat gracefully.

“It’s definitely a disappointment, but it’s racing – stuff happens,” he said. “I’ve given away a couple [of races] while leading myself this year. We win as a team, we lose as a team, and that’s just how it is. I wouldn’t take another race team out there.”

The victory comes at a very opportune time for Newman, who will leave Stewart-Haas Racing and become a free agent at season’s end. But while he’ll have to look for a new ride for 2014, Newman maintained that his focus remains on finishing strong for SHR.

“We still have a championship to go after and we still have the Chase to do,” he said. “There’s still plenty of racing left. This is a great day for us in the points, but it doesn’t mean anything. Tomorrow’s a new day and come Pocono, this will be in the past.”

Kasey Kahne finished a solid third, while Newman’s boss, Tony Stewart, finished fourth. Matt Kenseth rounded out the Top 5.

After Stewart climbed out of his machine, he eventually made his way to Victory Circle and wrapped Newman in a bear hug as a very proud car owner.

“I was scared to ask where he was at and how big of a lead he had and finally, with three to go, I couldn’t wait any longer,” Stewart said. “Finally, I asked and wanted to know what was going on – I didn’t want to jinx him.

“I just kept watching the Jumbotrons every time we’d come off of [Turn] Four, and was watching to see where he was at. I’m just very proud of him. He’s a great teammate and an even better friend. I couldn’t be happier for him.”

Jenson Button receives honorary degree from University of Bath (VIDEO)

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 25:  Jenson Button of Great Britain and McLaren Honda in the garage during practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 25, 2016 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jenson Button became ‘Dr. Jenson Button’ earlier this week when he was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Bath in England.

Button, 36, made what looks set to be his final Formula 1 appearance at the end of last month in Abu Dhabi, drawing the curtain on a 16-year stint at the pinnacle of motorsport.

The Briton won the F1 drivers’ championship in 2009 and was runner-up in 2011, as well as winning 15 grands prix.

Button added to his list of achievements by picking up an honorary degree in engineering from the University of Bath earlier this week.

“I didn’t go to university and work hard in my early years, but I would say that a lot of my achievements in motorsport are down to my engineering understanding of a racing car,” Button said when addressing the audience at the ceremony.

Button does have a contract to race for McLaren in 2018 should both he and the driver be keen, but looks unlikely to return.

Button does remain keen to race occasionally through 2017, expressing an interest in racing in Super GT and rallycross.

Williams expecting Stroll to make mistakes through debut F1 season

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 24:  Lance Stroll of Canada and Williams talks in the Paddock  during previews for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 24, 2016 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Williams Formula 1 chief technical officer Pat Symonds says he expects 18-year-old Lance Stroll to make mistakes during his rookie season in 2017.

Williams announced last month that Stroll would be stepping up from Formula 3 to a full-time F1 seat for 2017, replacing the retiring Felipe Massa.

Stroll has an impressive track record through his junior racing career, becoming the youngest ever FIA F3 champion in 2016.

However, his on-track actions have caught attention for the wrong reasons at times, with the Canadian receiving a race ban in June 2015 for causing an accident.

Speaking to Reuters, Symonds said that Williams is braced for Stroll to make mistakes during his rookie campaign as he gets to grips with life in F1.

“Of course he’ll make mistakes and we’ll be repairing cars. These things happen as part of the process,” Symonds said.

“If you look at his Formula 3 career, in 2015 he was having quite a few accidents in that. The Monza one is just staggering.”

However, Symonds has no doubt in Stroll’s talent, believing the youngster to have proven himself during his two-year stint in F3.

“He hasn’t won that championship with anything other than a lot of skill and maturity,” Symonds said.

“For a guy that young, he’s driven really well in pretty well every condition. He’s raced well, he’s led at the front. He’s come through the field a bit, he’s driven well in the wet.

“He is the real deal.”

Besides his F3 commitments, Stroll has also completed an extensive F1 testing program through 2016 that saw him conduct running in a 2014-spec Williams in order to prepare him for his race debut in Australia next March.

Ecclestone: Rosberg not among F1 greats, ‘a world champion and nothing else’

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 27:  Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP celebrates finishing second on the podium and winning the World Drivers Championship during the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 27, 2016 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Formula 1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone does not believe that the recently-retired Nico Rosberg will be remembered as one of the sport’s all-time greats, saying that the German is “a world champion and nothing else”.

Rosberg won his maiden F1 drivers’ championship two weeks ago in Abu Dhabi before sensationally announcing his immediate retirement from racing just five days later.

The news came as a shock to the F1 community, including Ecclestone, and has raised questions about the legacy that Rosberg will leave.

Speaking to Press Trust of India, Ecclestone said that he would not place Rosberg in the same realm as many of his peers who have won multiple titles, including Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso.

“Let’s just say he is a world champion. The other names that you mentioned have obviously won more than a few times and have achieved more,” Ecclestone said.

“So I would just call Nico a world champion and nothing else.”

Ecclestone did concede that not having the defending World Champion on the F1 grid in 2017 would not help the sport, a situation that has not arisen since 1994 following Alain Prost’s final title win.

“[He’s] not as popular as Lewis but Nico was a very popular driver,” Ecclestone said.

“So his absence is certainly not good for Formula 1.”

Rosberg became the fourth driver to retire after winning the World Championship, following in the footsteps of Prost (1993), Jackie Stewart (1973) and Mike Hawthorn (1958).

2017 MotoGP calendar tweaked as German GP changes date

VALENCIA, SPAIN - NOVEMBER 13:  The MotoGP riders start from the grid during the MotoGP race during the MotoGP of Valencia - Race at Ricardo Tormo Circuit on November 13, 2016 in Valencia, Spain.  (Photo by Mirco Lazzari gp/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

The calendar for the 2017 MotoGP season has been subject to a minor tweak following a date change for the German Grand Prix at the Sachsenring.

The provisional schedule for next year was released back in September, with 18 rounds listed in a similar fashion to the 2016 calendar.

The biggest change for 2017 was the removal of the back-to-back round between the races in Argentina and Austin, Texas, with many encountering travel difficulties en route from Termas de Rio Hondo.

In an updated schedule released by MotoGP on Wednesday, the German Grand Prix has now been brought forward by one week to create a longer summer break.

The race at the Sachsenring in Saxony will now take place on July 2, going back-to-back with the TT Assen race in the Netherlands and create a month’s gap to the next race in the Czech Republic.

The date of the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of The Americas remains unchanged, taking place on April 23.

2017 MotoGP provisional calendar

1. Qatar – March 26
2. Argentina – April 9
3. USA – April 23
4. Spain – May 7
5. France – May 21
6. Italy – June 4
7. Catalunya – June 11
8. Netherlands – June 25
9. Germany – July 2
10. Czech Republic – August 6
11. Austria – August 13
12. Great Britain – August 27
13. San Marino – September 10
14. Aragon – September 24
15. Japan – October 15
16. Australia – October 22
17. Malaysia – October 29
18. Valencia – November 12