Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is not concerned by the work of team principal Stefano Domenicali despite the Italian team currently enduring a poor run of form.
Ferrari has failed to win a race since the Spanish Grand Prix at the beginning of May, and a recent downturn in fortunes has seen Fernando Alonso fall to P3 in the drivers’ championship – a full 39 points behind leader Sebastian Vettel with half of the season gone. However, Montezemolo has complete faith in Domenicali’s ability.
“Stefano was born and raised with us from all managerial points of view,” Montezemolo explained to Italian publication Corriere della Sera. “But as a sportsman, he knows he needs results.
“However, when one talks about Domenicali, one fact is key: under his management we have won one constructors’ title and come very close to three drivers’ titles. Two of those we could easily have won and then people’s opinion of Domenicali would be very different.”
Montezemolo has however told Domenicali that he must be prepared to take action when necessary.
“There’s one thing I remind him of very often: he has to get the most out of every individual in his organization, never be satisfied and if necessary, take some drastic and painful decisions.”
The final comment from Montezemolo comes in the same week as his call for Felipe Massa to up his game if he is to remain with Ferrari in 2014, suggesting that the pressure on the Brazilian has never been greater.
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.
Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.
“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”
Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.
But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.
“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.
Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.
The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.
Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.
It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.
Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.
Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.