Niki Lauda warns Red Bull against Alonso

3 Comments

Three-time Formula One world champion Niki Lauda has warned Red Bull against signing Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso, believing that he would bring nothing but trouble to the team.

Rumors suggesting that Alonso could be angling a move to the champion team began to circulate after the Hungarian Grand Prix. Alonso publicly criticized the Ferrari design team over the F138 car after he struggled to fifth in the race, earning himself a rebuke from team president Luca di Montezemolo. Furthermore, the Spaniard’s manager had been spotted talking to Red Bull boss Christian Horner, suggesting a move could be on the cards. However, Lauda believes that Red Bull would be unwise to hire Alonso.

“He would only bring trouble to the team,” Lauda told German publication Auto Motor und Sport. “With probably four world championships in Vettel, Red Bull has the luxury to look at the benefits of Raikkonen or Ricciardo.

“One is the better solution in the short term, the other in the long term. In the end they can take a risk. But not Ferrari.”

Pairing Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso together could prove to be a disastrous move for Red Bull. In 2007, Alonso was joined at McLaren by then-rookie Lewis Hamilton, and the pace of the Briton proved to be too much as Alonso demanded the ‘number one’ status within the team. Eventually, both drivers missed out on the title and Alonso left McLaren after just one season.

Red Bull are expected to make an announcement regarding their driver line up in the next few weeks.

Racing world reacts to Danica Patrick’s Daytona, Indy double news

Leave a comment

Here’s a sampling of quotes and social media reaction to Danica Patrick’s news announced earlier Friday that this would be her last full-time season as a driver, and that she’ll race in the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 only in 2018.

This ends a full-time stretch in the top flights of NASCAR and IndyCar. She was in NASCAR from 2012 through 2017, and IndyCar from 2005 through 2011.

Her’s her own post on Twitter and Instagram.

Well…. 2018 Daytona 500 and Indy 500 here I come. 🙌🏼

A post shared by Danica Patrick (@danicapatrick) on

IMS President J. Douglas Boles

“We’re glad Danica plans to return to the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil next May,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “Her final career start will make what’s already shaping up to be a terrific Month of May even more interesting for our fans.

“It’s also fitting that Danica is wrapping up her career at the place and in the race where she became a household name and captured the world’s attention in 2005 – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. We’re looking forward to seeing her back in an Indy car next May alongside all of the tremendous drivers of the Verizon IndyCar Series.”

NASCAR

INDYCAR