F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Practice

No updates on Raikkonen’s future

Leave a comment

Kimi Raikkonen has insisted that there have been no developments in his future despite speculation linking him to Felipe Massa’s seat at Ferrari for next season.

The Finn is currently lying second in the drivers’ championship with Lotus, but financial problems have thrown his future with the team into doubt. Raikkonen openly admitted that things could be better at Lotus.

“It’s not as it should [be], but hopefully those things get sorted quickly,” the Finn explained.

He also revealed that talks with Red Bull had broken down due to a lack of communication from the world champions, stating that they would be better placed to go into further detail over the matter.

“I have no answer from them, and you have to really ask from them what they will do. I don’t know any better than you guys.

“We haven’t heard really anything for a while so that’s not the ideal situation.”

Besides Red Bull, Raikkonen has been linked to both Ferrari and McLaren in recent days, but he again reinforced that these were merely rumors and he was still assessing his options for next season.

“There’s always options open, but I don’t know. I have nothing to say until there is something sorted and for sure we will tell you when we know.

“There’s a lot of talk that I’m supposed to go to McLaren, Ferrari one day, Lotus next day.”

Raikkonen’s future largely hinges on Red Bull’s decision over the second seat at the team. The Finn’s manager revealed this week that he was no longer a consideration, suggesting that Daniel Ricciardo was poised to join the team, but reports yesterday suggest that the team is yet to make a final decision. A driver of Raikkonen’s calibre will be attractive to any team, but quite whether they can accommodate the Finn is another matter.

Report: Ecclestone believes F1 could be sold by year’s end

F1 Grand Prix of Germany
(Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone on Tuesday said the racing series is up for sale and has as many as three potential buyers.

Ecclestone told The Associated Press that a deal could still be struck by year’s end.

“I think so, maybe this year,” Ecclestone said. “There are three people mentioned to buy. So it’s a case of whether CVC or Mr. Mackenzie wants to sell.”

Ecclestone was referring to F1’s largest and controlling shareholder, CVC Capital Partners co-chairman Donald Mackenzie.

But even if F1 is sold, the 84-year-old Eccelstone doesn’t plan on going anywhere.

“The people that I’ve spoken to … have asked me if I would stay,” Ecclestone told AP.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

IndyCar: Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Hinchcliffe test at Mid-Ohio

TORONTO, ON - JULY 19:  Marco Andretti driver of the #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara Honda stands on pit wall prior to qualifying for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy Toronto on the Streets of Toronto on July 19, 2014 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Chris Trotman/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Monday was IndyCar team owner Michael Andretti’s 53rd birthday and son Marco was nowhere to be found – but with good reason.

The younger Andretti and Andretti Autosport teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay were both testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course near Lexington, Ohio.

Also taking part in the test was Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe.

It was Hinchcliffe’s second successful test since recovering from his horrific crash during practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 in May.

Hinchcliffe’s first test was last week at Road America in Wisconsin.

Monday’s test session was not open to the public or media, but a Honda source told Motorsportstalk that drivers and teams reportedly focused on testing aerodynamics for the 2016 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

Follow @JerryBonkowski