Chase pressure mounting for Dale Earnhardt Jr.

2 Comments

A crash and a flat tire in the last two races have knocked Dale Earnhardt Jr. into the clutches of the ongoing battle among multiple drivers to make the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

With Earnhardt still winless in 2013 and only 20 points ahead of 11th-place Wild Card holder Kasey Kahne (two wins), his grip on a post-season berth is loosening at the worst possible time.

Before he suffered his tire failure at Michigan – which relegated him to a 36th-place finish – Earnhardt had expressed confidence that he and his team would be where they needed to be when the regular season ended.

But with three races remaining before the Chase, it appears that NASCAR’s most popular driver is getting at least a little troubled about the matter.

“You definitely don’t like to be in this situation,” Earnhardt said according to NASCAR.com while testing at Richmond International Raceway, home to the final race of the regular season, earlier this week.

“I don’t think anybody wants to be on the bubble or be even worried or concerned about points leading up to Richmond, so we hope to have a couple of good weeks and really put ourselves in a pretty comfortable situation before we even come into Richmond.”

Earnhardt, who starts 19th in tonight’s Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway, figures that the 500-lap race will come down to being able to hang on to the top end of the grid as the night progresses.

“It’s just going to be a very competitive race,” he said yesterday. “Everybody runs the same speed. It’s just going to be whoever can be up front and get track position.”

And, of course, stay out of the mayhem that so often pays a visit to Bristol. Should Earnhardt get caught in a pile-up or run into another form of trouble on the tight half-mile, then the pressure already on him to make the Chase will only grow further.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Championship unlikely to run this season in U.S.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Championship
Leave a comment

The US-based Red Bull Global Rallycross Championship circuit has reportedly parked itself and the pending 2018 season. According to various reports including AutoWeek, AutoSport.com and Motorsport.com, the Red Bull-sponsored GRC has suspended operations.

MotorSportsTalk reached out to a GRC spokesman for comment and further details.

It appears that all GRC-related websites, including its home page, as well as the site to order tickets to races this season, are unavailable. The series’ Twitter account @GRCseries remains, but hasn’t tweeted since April 13.

New York’s Lancaster National Speedway & Dragway, which was to host the GRC’s season-opening event (the original Louisville opener in mid-May was cancelled), issued a statement on its Twitter account:

Several GRC teams said at the end of last season that they would not return to the series, including teams from Honda, Volkswagen and Subaru.

It is expected that the GRC Europe series will continue working on its 2019 campaign.

It’s unclear whether teams that are no longer with the GRC U.S. series will move to a new series backed by IMG known as “Americas Rallycross Championship.” The ARC is slated to kick off as part of next month’s World Rallycross event at Silverstone in Great Britain.

Other ARC events, also tied into WRC events, will be at Trois-Rivieres in Canada on August 4-5, and at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, on Sept. 29-30. A fourth event is still in the works.

Follow @JerryBonkowski