Martin ready to go for Stewart-Haas tonight at Bristol

Leave a comment

A whirlwind week for Mark Martin is set to reach its climax tonight at Bristol Motor Speedway, as he makes his first start for Stewart-Haas Racing while filling in for the injured Tony Stewart.

With Stewart out for the remainder of the Sprint Cup season after breaking his right leg in a recent sprint car accident, it’s fallen on Martin to drive the No. 14 SHR Chevrolet for all but one of the remaining races on the 2013 calendar (Austin Dillon will drive the No. 14 at Talladega in October).

But while the 54-year-old Martin holds a well-deserved place as one of NASCAR’s most respected veterans, he still indicated on Friday at Bristol that he had a few rookie-like jitters before going about the task of replacing Stewart.

“Like I said before, I’m a little bit nervous about today, because I feel like it is an extraordinary challenge,” he said. “Because it’s not like…I’ve switched around a lot, but usually, you have a couple of months and a test or two to get together. Man, I see a lot of faces I’m not sure I can put names to just yet.”

But SHR competition director Greg Zipadelli appeared to have the utmost confidence in Martin, who also noted that he was “honored and humbled” to have his latest opportunity.

“For us, it’s a homerun,” said Zipadelli. “Obviously, he has big shoes to fill to take Tony’s seat and there are not many guys in the garage that could do that.

“We all agreed that if there was any way to get Mark Martin, he was the guy that would do us the best job and be able to do that.”

Luckily for SHR, things have worked out that way after a long process that, by Martin’s estimation, truly got started when Brian Vickers won earlier this summer at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

Vickers has since been announced as next year’s full-time driver of the No. 55 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota that he, Waltrip and Martin were splitting races in.

Martin was to drive nine more races this year in the No. 55, but with his jump to SHR, Vickers has taken on those events in addition to the three he himself already had remaining.

“Once they got that done, signed and announced, you know, then it kind of opened the door where it was a win/win for everybody,” Martin mused.

“It’s a win for Brian, it’s a win for Michael Waltrip Racing, and it’s a win for myself to have the opportunity to be a small part of Stewart-Haas.”

Martin will start 11th on tonight’s grid.

Takuma Sato’s likeness revealed on Borg-Warner Trophy (PHOTOS)

Photos; Walt Kuhn
1 Comment

INDIANAPOLIS – Rather than the traditional December unveil, this year’s reveal newest likeness added to the Borg-Warner Trophy came Tuesday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.

Takuma Sato got to see the result of the sculpting done by William Behrends and then turned from wax, clay and ceramic into sterling silver on Tuesday evening, as the winner of the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil saw his face revealed on the trophy.

Sato took the No. 26 Ruoff Home Mortgage Honda for Andretti Autosport to the win in thrilling fashion this year over Helio Castroneves, denying the Brazilian his fourth Indianapolis 500 victory in the process. It atoned for his near-miss in 2012, driving for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, the team he’ll return to in 2018.

It’s been a whirlwind last week-plus for Sato, doing the podium interviews at the Japanese Grand Prix, reflecting on his Indianapolis 500 triumph, then sharing the victory spoils with another Japanese pilot in Yoshihide Muroya, who won the Red Bull Air Race World Championship at Indianapolis this weekend.

Photos of Sato’s face on the most unique trophy in sports are below. This post will be updated following tonight’s full unveil. (All photos: Walt Kuhn)