Ryan Newman, Brad Keselowski, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Brian Vickers, David Stremme, Ken Schrader

Problems aplenty at Bristol for several Chase hopefuls

Leave a comment

On Saturday night, Bristol Motor Speedway’s usual chaos contributed to yet another dramatic shift in the Race to the Chase. In hindsight, you’re tempted to say to yourself, “As if it wouldn’t.”

Kurt Busch, Brad Keselowski, Martin Truex Jr., and Ryan Newman – all of them trying to cement a spot in NASCAR’s ten-race postseason dash – suffered setbacks in the Volunteer State, as Busch was victimized by a wheel hub issue on his car and the other three were caught in a late-race crash.

Busch had started on the front row and led 54 laps early on, but his right-rear wheel came loose and he was forced to pit under green. After service, he was promptly tagged for speeding on pit road and then made contact with Josh Wise on the track that damaged his car and sent him back to the pits.

Eventually, he was forced to go behind the wall in order for his team to properly deal with the hub problem.

“We didn’t even pit yet, so we had a wheel start to vibrate loose at an odd time,” said Busch, who would make some progress and finish 31st, but fell back to 12th in the Sprint Cup standings at six points out of 10th position.

“I felt vibrations before, but we are leading the race walking the dog and our right-rear is falling off. It’s just kind of how you have to fight sometimes and overcome the obstacles that come your way.”

Even with that turn of events, Saturday’s Irwin Tools Night Race was playing out to be relatively cleaner than your typical 500-lap romp around the Bristol high banks. At least, until Lap 446.

On that lap, contact between Brian Vickers and Denny Hamlin caused a tire failure for the latter, who then slid up into traffic and started an eight-car incident that involved Keselowski, Truex and Newman.

Truex, who was unable to return to action and finished 35th, said he couldn’t see anything during the incident.

“They just started jamming up and I tried to follow the 29 [Kevin Harvick] through and [the hole] closed up,” he said in the TV broadcast. “We got smashed in the fence and hit a couple of times.

“…We just didn’t have enough gas at the end there and we had to pit, and once you get in the back here towards the end, they start wrecking and you’re an innocent victim.”

Truex wound up falling to 14th in the standings, but thanks to his win earlier this summer at Sonoma, he still maintains hold of a Wild Card spot despite being sidelined before the checkered flag. Newman, who finished 21st on Saturday, has managed to climb into the second Wild Card position.

As for the winless Keselowski, he’s dropped from eighth to 11th in the standings after a 30th-place result – and is now likely steeling himself for what will be a pressure-packed final two weeks of the regular season.

“If you’re not in [the Chase] right now, I don’t care if you’re running eighth or you’re running 13th, every team is worried and concerned – not just mine,” said Keselowski.

“I’m not gonna be out of the worried zone unless I make it or it’s over…We’ve tested at the next two tracks [Atlanta and Richmond] and we’re gonna be very competitive. I feel like this is gonna come down to the last lap at Richmond and I’m ready for that battle.”

Esteban Ocon secures Mercedes DTM seat for 2016

2015 GP3 Series Round 9
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Sunday 29 November 2015.
Esteban Ocon (FRA, ART Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP3 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C8733
© GP3 Series
Leave a comment

2015 GP3 Series champion Esteban Ocon will race in the DTM championship this year with Mercedes in tandem with a reserve role in Formula 1 at Renault.

Ocon joined Mercedes’ junior program in the spring of 2015 before becoming a fully-fledged member at the end of the year just days before his GP3 title success.

The Frenchman was known to be considering a move into either DTM or GP2 for 2016, but will now replace F1-bound Pascal Wehrlein at Mercedes’ factory team for the new DTM campaign.

“It’s an incredible feeling to be part of such a professional and strong racing series,” Ocon said.

“I’m very pleased to be driving for Mercedes-Benz. It’s the best team in the DTM and I’m very grateful for this fantastic opportunity.

“Mercedes is the most successful manufacturer in DTM history. You can only achieve that with real passion and hard work, and those are characteristics that we share. After driving in free practice during the final race weekend of the 2015 season at Hockenheim, I can’t wait to start a DTM race.

“I obviously have a lot to learn, but my goal – and that of everyone in the team – is to fight for wins as soon as possible.”

Trident completes 2016 GP2 line-up with Armand

2015 GP2 Series Test 3.
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Friday 4 December 2015.
Philo Armand (INA, Status Grand Prix).
Photo: Zak Mauger/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _L0U4261
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Trident has completed its line-up for the 2016 GP2 Series season by signing Indonesian driver Philo Paz Armand.

Armand has previously raced in a number of European Formula Renault 2.0 championships, and most recently took part in half of last year’s Formula Renault 3.5 rounds, scoring one point.

Armand will now step up to GP2 for the 2016 season, racing alongside 2015 GP3 runner-up Luca Ghiotto at Trident.

“We are very excited to start this collaboration with Philo and we are confident he will express all his talent thanks to the team’s help,” Trident team manager Giacomo Ricci said.

The grid for GP2’s support series, GP3, is also beginning to come together for the new season following the announcements of Tatiana Calderon and Honda junior Nirei Fukuzumi.

Calderon moves into GP3 from FIA F3 and will race for Carlin, while Fukuzumi joins ART Grand Prix, continuing the French squad’s association with Honda.

Marchionne calls for Alfa Romeo to consider F1 entry

LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 20:  The Alfa Romeo 4C on display at the Vanity Fair Campaign Hollywood Alfa Romeo Ride and Drive luncheon at The Polsky Residence on February 20, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Michael Buckner/Getty Images for Vanity Fair)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Fiat-Chrysler CEO and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne believes that Italian car manufacturer Alfa Romeo must consider entering Formula 1 with a team in the near future.

Alfa Romeo last raced as a constructor in F1 between 1979 and 1985, but has enjoyed no involvement within the series since 1988 when it supplied engines to the Osella team.

Marchionne believes that a return to F1 would be an effective way for Alfa Romeo to grow as a brand and gain more public awareness.

“In order to restore their name, they must consider returning to Formula 1,” Marchionne told Italian publication La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Alfa Romeo are capable of making their own chassis, just like they are capable of making their own engine,” he added, before conceding that it could enjoy an engine supply from Ferrari should it wish to enter F1.

Marchionne believes that adding more manufacturers to the F1 grid is key to safeguarding the long-term future of the series.

“In the end this sport must be saved,” Marchionne said.

“The important thing is to make other car manufacturers enter grand prix racing.”

Grosjean unveils new helmet design for first F1 season with Haas

12698301_1120958154581623_8589183238773563028_o
© Romain Grosjean
Leave a comment

Romain Grosjean has revealed his new-look helmet design ahead of his first Formula 1 season with Haas in 2016.

NASCAR team co-owner Gene Haas won the race to get an F1 team on the grid back in 2014, and has spent the past 18 months meticulously planning its arrival in the sport.

Haas F1 Team’s full debut is now just five weeks away, with the first on-track test of its new car coming on February 22 in Barcelona.

Grosjean walked away from Lotus at the end of last year to join Haas for the new season, where he will race alongside former Ferrari reserve Esteban Gutierrez.

In a post on his Twitter account on Saturday, Grosjean unveiled his new helmet design for the 2016 season, featuring plenty of Haas signage.

Grosjean also revealed earlier this week that he would be racing with a tribute to Jules Bianchi on his helmet, who died at the age of 25 last July.