Report: Kyle Larson to join Earnhardt-Ganassi in Sprint Cup next year


Thanks to his impressive work on both dirt and asphalt, 21-year-old Kyle Larson has become one of NASCAR’s most hyped young talents in some time. Now, it appears he’ll be moving on up to the Sprint Cup Series.

A report from The Charlotte Observer says that Larson, who currently drives for Turner Scott Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, has been tapped to become the new driver of the No. 42 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevrolet.

EGR recently told Juan Pablo Montoya that he would not return to the No. 42 next season. The team has set a press conference for Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Since Montoya’s departure from EGR was announced, Larson had been considered as a potential replacement because of his ties to the team as one of its development drivers.

He has persevered nicely after being involved in a wild crash during the Nationwide season opener in February at Daytona International Speedway – an incident that saw his car get airborne and smash into the catch fence, with the impact sending parts into the grandstands and injuring fans.

He earned his first Camping World Truck Series win in April at Rockingham (N.C.), and was a threat to win the Trucks’ dirt-track debut last month at Eldora Speedway. As for his main duties in NNS, Larson currently runs eighth in the championship (six Top-5s, 13 Top-10s).

Prior to 2013, though, Larson had already made a considerable name for himself. In 2011, he earned 22 feature wins across USAC, World of Outlaws and the American Sprint Car Series – including an impressive sweep of all three USAC races (midget, sprint car and Silver Crown) at that year’s 4-Crown Nationals at Eldora.

But 2012 saw him shift his main focus to stock car racing, and he proved his talent once more by winning the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East title with two wins, seven Top-5s, and 12 Top-10s.

Performances like that have made some NASCAR fans wonder what he could do against the top dogs in Sprint Cup. Additionally, Larson’s apparent promotion may be setting up a fascinating Rookie of the Year duel next season between himself and Richard Childress Racing’s Austin Dillon, who is expected to make a 2014 jump to Cup as well.

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski