Finding 2014 funding next step for Indy 500 champ Kanaan post-Baltimore

3 Comments

This year’s Indianapolis 500 champion Tony Kanaan will shift from wearing his helmet to his business hat as soon as the weekend’s Grand Prix of Baltimore presented by SRT goes in the books.

Kanaan came into KV Racing Technology – SH in an eleventh hour agreement prior to the 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series, and signed a two-year contract to continue with the team through 2013 ahead of the 2012 season. Now a free agent, “TK” will move into overdrive for yet another offseason of working to find the sponsorship to stay on the grid.

“It’s always negotiations; my take on it, this is the new era,” Kanaan admitted during a media teleconference on Wednesday. “You have to put yourself out there and try to sell the product. The more sponsorship you bring, the more resources you can hire, the better things you can have for the team. For me, it’s another day in the office. People are starting to talk about all different things.”

Kanaan said he’ll use the month-long break inbetween Baltimore and Houston in October to go home to Brazil, speak with potential and some current sponsors, and work to “move things along for next year.”

While Kanaan has his options open in terms of where he could drive in 2014, he admitted the ‘500 victory was only step one in the KV building relationship with team principals Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser.

“We’re a fairly young team. I agree totally with Jimmy, we have not accomplished what we have hoped for,” Kanaan said. “Thank God we think like that because if you’re happy winning one race and having four or five podiums a year, that’s not the right mentality to go racing. We started working on the 500 in September of last year with a lot of things that we’ve done, not just in the shop, with the racecar and everything.  Obviously it paid off.  Now we look at each other and say, ‘OK, we need to work for 17 races and win a championship.’”

Verstappen picks illegal Raikkonen pass as favorite F1 2017 overtake

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Max Verstappen has picked his illegal pass on Kimi Raikkonen on the final lap of the United States Grand Prix as his favorite overtake of the Formula 1 season.

Verstappen was one of F1’s most prolific passers through 2017, making 22 overtaking moves as per Pirelli’s end of year data.

When asked to pick out his favorite in a post-season interview on his official website, Verstappen picked his bold move on Raikkonen at the Circuit of The Americas that sparked controversy when he was penalized for completing the overtake off-track.

The Red Bull driver had charged from 16th on the grid to cross the line third, only for a five-second time penalty to deny him a podium and drop him to fourth in a snap call made before the post-race ceremony.

“Of course, at first your initial reaction is something like: ‘Why? It was a great move.’ But when you look at the rules, it was not correct,” Verstappen said.

“Nothing was by the book that whole weekend. Drivers were getting off track without being penalized for it. But you always need to focus on the positives: it was still a nice race and everyone enjoyed the excitement all the way down to the final lap.

“It’s always nice to be on the podium, but to finish fourth after having started sixteenth, is still a great result.

“It wasn’t as painful as most people thought it was. In the end I made my peace with it.”

Asked if it was his best move of the year, Verstappen said: “Yes, because this year I actually didn’t have that many overtakes.

“With this car you are actually only able to overtake on the straights, which is really not that satisfying compared to last year.”