Matt Kenseth eyeing top seed for upcoming Chase

Leave a comment

With a series-high five wins on the season, Matt Kenseth could be heading into this year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup as the top seed in the 12-driver field.

And after his latest victory last weekend at Bristol, the Joe Gibbs Racing driver feels his No. 20 team is firing on all cylinders as NASCAR’s post-season looms.

I feel pretty confident right now,” said Kenseth on Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway, where he’ll start sixth in Sunday’s Advocare 500. “I feel like we have a really good race team. Right now, we’re really on top of our game on pit road and with car prep and the rest of the stuff.

“I feel good about all that, but you have to perform each and every week once you get [into the Chase]. The wins are great – obviously, as long as we make the top- 10, that seeds us up toward the top. We should be at least a tie or hopefully ahead. That is good. You have to put together 10 strong, solid weeks for sure.”

Atlanta could yield a sixth win in 2013 for Kenseth, as the 1.5-mile oval has been a historically strong track for JGR. The team has earned 10 Sprint Cup wins at Atlanta, including the most recent race there last year with Denny Hamlin doing the honors.

Kenseth has admitted in the past that he felt some nervousness about joining JGR over this past off-season, and did so again on Friday. But despite some humbling moments at the beginning, he’s managed to settle in comfortably.

“I had a little bit of anxiety, especially when the secretary didn’t know who I was or what I wanted there,” he recalled. “You always have moments like that to kind of get used to it and it always humbles you. Certainly, I felt really at home there from the beginning, at least after that first 15 minutes until she realized what I was there for.

“Since then, I’ve really felt at home there and it’s a special team. We all get along really good. We work together really good. I think we understand each other, have the same goals and ideas and stuff. It’s been a lot of fun.”

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski