Run my own F1 team? No chance, says Button

Leave a comment

Jenson Button says he has no interest of running his own Formula One team once his days as a driver are over.

Button, 33, is the most experienced driver racing in F1 today having made 239 starts so far. But he told The Guardian he’s not interested in life on the pit wall:

“My hero, Alain Prost, started a team in the late nineties and it didn’t work out for him,” said Button. “I remember speaking to him about what it was like and he said it was the most stressful time of his life – even more so than racing with Ayrton Senna.”

“He said it was non-stop. He said he couldn’t sleep. He didn’t sleep through that period of time. He said it was very tough. It’s a challenge, definitely, but it’s not the challenge I’m looking for in life.”

Prost took over the Ligier team at the end of 1996. Five years later the team folded.

Other ex-F1 drivers have enjoyed better success running F1 teams. Jackie Stewart entered F1 at the same time as Prost and Rubens Barrichello scored a second place finish for Stewart at Monaco in their debut season.

Two years later Johnny Herbert won the European Grand Prix for them. After that they were sold to Ford and eventually became the power house Red Bull team.

Rebellion confirms LMP1 return, all-star line-up for WEC super season

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Rebellion Racing has confirmed it will return to the LMP1 class of the FIA World Endurance Championship for the 2018/19 ‘super season’ with an all-star line-up featuring Le Mans winners Neel Jani and Andre Lotterer.

Rebellion raced in LMP1 as a privateer between 2009 and 2016 before stepping down to LMP2 for the most recent season, capturing the class titles at the first attempt.

Following a push from the WEC and Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) to make LMP1 more appealing to privateer teams, Rebellion announced on Wednesday it would return to the premier class for the 2018/19 season with a two-car effort.

WEC LMP2 champion Bruno Senna will return with Rebellion next year, as will Mathias Beche, with the pair set to be joined by four new faces.

The most notable arrivals are Porsche factory drivers Lotterer and Jani, both of whom were left without an LMP1 drive following the closure of the German manufacturer’s program at the end of the season.

American racer Gustavo Menezes will also join Rebellion, stepping up after two years in LMP2, while outstanding 2017 rookie Thomas Laurent completes the Swiss team’s line-up.

“I am looking forward to coming back where my endurance career started nine years ago,” said Jani.

“Rebellion Racing played a huge role in my career and also helped me become a factory driver for Porsche. When Porsche stopped in LMP1, it was clear for me that I wanted to race again for Rebellion.

“With the new regulations, I hope we can reach the overall podium at Le Mans and with a bit of luck, maybe we can even grab some wins during the super season of WEC.”

“I am very happy to join the champion Rebellion team,” added three-time Le Mans winner Lotterer.

“The LMP1 project is very exciting and to be able to go on with the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the FIA WEC challenge is something I did not want to miss.

“I am motivated and looking forward to have a great time with great people there.”