Mike Skeen’s girlfriend fined, banned indefinitely from NASCAR

Leave a comment

The post-race dust-up at the end of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Mosport’s Canadian Tire Motorsport Park has cost at least one individual her access.

Kelly Heaphy, girlfriend of driver Mike Skeen, was fined $2,500 and denied access to all NASCAR events indefinitely following her role in the altercation with driver Max Papis.  Additionally, the No. 6 team’s crew chief, Bryan Berry, has been fined $2,500 for violating Sections 12-1 and 9-4A (Crew chief assumes responsibility for the actions of his team members).

Papis wrote on Twitter after this news, “Once again @NASCAR showed what #RESPECT 4 the sport means, thanks and proud to be in this family.”

What TV picked up at the time of the incident on Sunday was Heaphy slapping Papis across the face. However, there was allegedly more to the story that followed.

After the race, Papis told ESPN.com that his jaw was dislocated from the incident, and wrote this on Twitter in the immediate aftermath regarding what he did or did not want to do after the slap: “And by the way …. Even if she deserved I will not hit a Lady and it was just between 2 racers not between me and him no other that is it.”

On Sept. 3, Papis clarified the “dislocated jaw” comment when he wrote on Twitter, “Just to clarify my English my jaw was never dislocated I used that to say it was moved around and sprained ( not from around here guys!)”

Skeen’s camp though, alleges there was further contact from Papis to Heaphy that was not picked up by the TV cameras. A statement attributed to Skeen reads (found via @BobPockrass on Twitter):

“First & foremost, I want to say that I am proud of the Sharp-Gallaher Racing team and my performance in Sunday’s race… The last-turn incident can be interpreted different ways as most altercations in racing can. … Max escalated the situation beginning on the cool down lap and as soon as we got behind the wall. …. We spoke face to face and then I left to return to the garage. I was unaware of the incident with Kelly (Heaphy) until later. Max further escalated the situation by coming in our trailer and grabbing Kelly aggressively. …. …. I hope we can put this unfortunate incident past us and get back to racing.”

Interestingly, this is not the first time Papis and slapping have been in the news this year. After the NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Road America in June, Papis slapped driver Billy Johnson, who still had his helmet on. It was jokingly known as the “Pap-slap” and generated a bit of buzz for a few days.

MRTI: Juncos signs Carlos Cunha for Pro Mazda campaign

Photo: Juncos Racing
Leave a comment

Juncos Racing continued to bolster its entries in the Pro Mazda Championship Presented by Cooper Tires by signing Carlos Cunha to pilot a third Juncos Pro Mazda entry for 2018. Cunha, who finished third in the 2017 Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda season on the back of seven podium finishes, joins Rinus VeeKay and Robert Megennis in Juncos’ Pro Mazda lineup for 2018.

Cunha previously tested with the team at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in October and joined Juncos for the Chris Griffis Memorial test at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in November, testing cars for both the Pro Mazda and Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams.

“It’s great to become a part of Juncos Racing,” said the 18-year-old Cunha. “I am really excited to start the 2018 season with Juncos Racing. This fall we did some testing together and from there I was able to see how focused everyone on the team is and I even felt like I became a part of their family in no time. I am confident we will get great results together next year and I look forward to learning and growing more with the team. It will be a huge pleasure and also a great responsibility to carry the number one on my car, thanks to (2017 Pro Mazda champion Victor Franzoni) and I hope to deliver it back to the team at the end of the year!”

Team owner Ricardo Juncos added, “We are excited to add Carlos to our Pro Mazda lineup. From the moment we started testing with him in early October, we knew he would be a great fit for our team. Carlos has been very quick in testing and even had an impressive showing in the Indy Lights car at the Chris Griffis test back in October. He had a great run this past season in the Pro Mazda series and we are confident he will carry that momentum into the 2018 season.”

Follow @KyleMLavigne