Provisional 2014 calendar revealed, no place for New Jersey


The first provisional calendar for the 2014 Formula One season has been revealed with the big news being the exclusion of the proposed Grand Prix of America in New Jersey.

Although an official reason for its postponement is yet to be given, it will come as a blow to F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone who had been pushing to get the race on the calendar for next season. However, it is likely that a revised date sometime during 2015 will secure the future of the race.

As Ecclestone had hinted to NBC Sports on the grid at Spa last month, Mexico will host a grand prix for the first time since 1992, going back-to-back with the United States Grand Prix in November. The race at Austin will take place on November 16th.

The new inclusions to the calendar (Austria, Russia, Mexico) have caused it to swell to an unprecedented twenty-one races, which will make the 2014 season the longest year ever with its finale coming on the final day of November in Brazil.

The other big change is Korea’s date, moving from October to become the fourth round of the season in 2014, with the race at Yeongam taking place on April 13th.

The calendar is still pending approval from the World Motor Sport Council, who will meet late this month in Croatia.

Provisional 2014 Formula One calendar (pending approval from the WMSC)

16th March – Australian Grand Prix
23rd March – Malaysian Grand Prix
6th April – Chinese Grand Prix
13th April – Korean Grand Prix
27th April – Bahrain Grand Prix
11th May – Spanish Grand Prix
25th May – Monaco Grand Prix
8th June – Canadian Grand Prix
22nd June – Austrian Grand Prix
6th July – British Grand Prix
20th July – German Grand Prix
27th July – Hungarian Grand Prix
24th August – Belgian Grand Prix
7th September – Italian Grand Prix
21st September – Singapore Grand Prix
5th October – Japanese Grand Prix
19th October – Russian Grand Prix
26th October – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
9th November – Mexican Grand Prix
16th November – US Grand Prix
30th November – Brazilian Grand Prix

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski