Mum on 2014 plans, Newman sets sights on making Chase

Leave a comment

With all of the recent Silly Season movement involving the likes of Kurt Busch, Kyle Larson, A.J. Allmendinger and Jeff Burton, it would appear that the spotlight is now shining on Ryan Newman, who is leaving Stewart-Haas Racing at the end of 2013.

Newman has been tipped by some for a possible jump to Richard Childress Racing next year, and with Burton announcing his departure from RCR this week, that rumor will only intensify.

Of course, let’s not forget that Busch’s soon-to-be-old ride, the No. 78 at Furniture Row Racing, also needs a new driver for 2014.

But as he looks toward his final chance to make this year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup this weekend at Richmond International Raceway, Newman has kept quiet about his future plans. He mentioned Thursday that he had “spent some time this week working on next year” – but didn’t reveal much else.

“It’s not that I’m not allowed [to say anything],” Newman said. “It’s just not the right time.”

An understandable stance from Newman, considering that he’ll be battling for a Chase berth in tomorrow’s Federated Auto Parts 400 at RIR. The Brickyard 400 winner finds himself five points behind Martin Truex, Jr. for the final Wild Card spot.

“I think no matter what, trying to figure out anybody’s future is somewhat of a distraction when it compares to living in the present – trying to figure out and perform like we need to perform for the Chase,” Newman said.

With him and nine other drivers gunning for five remaining Chase spots tomorrow night, the atmosphere will definitely be tense.

Many scenarios can and likely will play out over the course of 400 laps, and for Newman – who can clinch a Wild Card with a win – it may all come down to putting the chrome horn to somebody in order to get that critical victory that vaults him into the playoffs.

But would he do such a thing? That depends.

“Everything is a situation,” he said Thursday. “If that guy roughs you up to get to where you are, maybe. If that person is the one that caused you mischief earlier in the season, maybe. If that person is somebody you extremely respect, know they wouldn’t do that to you, maybe not. It’s so situational.”

Racing world reacts to Danica Patrick’s Daytona, Indy double news

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Here’s a sampling of quotes and social media reaction to Danica Patrick’s news announced earlier Friday that this would be her last full-time season as a driver, and that she’ll race in the Daytona 500 and Indianapolis 500 only in 2018.

This ends a full-time stretch in the top flights of NASCAR and IndyCar. She was in NASCAR from 2012 through 2017, and IndyCar from 2005 through 2011.

Her’s her own post on Twitter and Instagram.

Well…. 2018 Daytona 500 and Indy 500 here I come. 🙌🏼

A post shared by Danica Patrick (@danicapatrick) on

IMS President J. Douglas Boles

“We’re glad Danica plans to return to the Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil next May,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “Her final career start will make what’s already shaping up to be a terrific Month of May even more interesting for our fans.

“It’s also fitting that Danica is wrapping up her career at the place and in the race where she became a household name and captured the world’s attention in 2005 – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. We’re looking forward to seeing her back in an Indy car next May alongside all of the tremendous drivers of the Verizon IndyCar Series.”

NASCAR

INDYCAR