Vergne: Red Bull rejection a big disappointment

Leave a comment

Jean-Eric Vergne has conceded that missing out on the Red Bull seat for 2014 came as a big blow, but he is pleased that the speculation has finally come to an end following Monday’s announcement that Daniel Ricciardo would be claiming the position.

After Mark Webber confirmed in June that he would be retiring at the end of the season, Vergne was initially shortlisted alongside Daniel Ricciardo and Kimi Raikkonen as a possible replacement for the Australian. However, Christian Horner confirmed a few weeks later that Vergne was no longer a consideration, and the Frenchman has admitted that this came as a great disappointment.

“Naturally, it’s a big disappointment for me personally,” Vergne explained. “It would be foolish to claim it isn’t and I don’t think anyone would really believe me if I did.

“However, I can honestly say I’m happy for Daniel. Not crazy happy obviously, but I’ve said previously that if he gets the seat it will be a good thing because it confirms the value of Red Bull’s Junior Team. It makes total sense.”

However, Vergne is adamant that there is very little to choose between himself and Ricciardo, conceding that his inferior qualifying form may have been decisive in Red Bull’s decision.

“The fact is, he has a bit more experience and he’s done a better job in qualifying. However, deep inside I know that we have always been really evenly matched and that’s the positive I take from it. I had more points than him last year, I have more points at the moment this year and I know in my heart that I can still do better, that I can improve.

“It makes me want to raise my game because I know that he didn’t beat me over the past season and a half and that, in reality, there is very little to choose between us in terms of ability.”

Vergne has been assured of his place at Toro Rosso despite missing out on the seat, although he will have to consider his future within the Red Bull setup following this setback.

Reaction to INDYCAR/NBC Sports Group announcement: Mario Andretti, Roger Penske, Bobby Rahal and social media

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Like countless others on the East Coast, Mario Andretti was fighting through a snowstorm Wednesday morning.

But emotionally and personally, it was a very bright and sunny day for the legendary Indy car driver.

In an exclusive interview with, Andretti spoke in glowing terms about this morning’s announcement of a multi-year media rights partnership between INDYCAR and NBC Sports Group beginning next year.

“I think this is awesome,” Andretti said. “It’s music to my ears and all of us. NBC has been very familiar with IndyCar racing, so they’re a great partner. I’m elated that it’s all nailed down, secured and I’m looking forward to the future.

“It’s also great for the young lads in Indy Lights coming on, and it’s great for all the sponsors to have that kind of exposure. It’s a good day for INDYCAR today.”

Andretti lauded the fact that all elements of INDYCAR coverage – TV, digital and streaming – will now be under one corporate roof, so to speak.

“Personally, I think it’s huge,” Andretti said. “Everybody is going to be very familiar with everything, the storylines are going to flow perfectly from event to event. There’s nothing like continuity.

“It’s okay sometimes if you have two networks, but to me, the best possible solution is this. That’s why I think this is really a great day for INDYCAR racing to have NBC involved and the continuity is huge for us.”

MORE: NBC Sports Group, INDYCAR partner on new TV and digital rights agreement starting in 2019

MORE: Optimism abounds with new INDYCAR media partnership


Several other high-profile individuals within the IndyCar community also gave their take on Wednesday’s announcement, including statements from team owners Roger Penske and Bobby Rahal.

Roger Penske: “As an industry, we are very fortunate to have the NBC Sports Group grow their presence and coverage of INDYCAR racing and really invest in the future of the sport. We believe there is a great deal of positive momentum in the Verizon IndyCar Series right now, from the development of the new race car, to the very talented group of young drivers and new teams coming into the sport this season.

“With the announcement of the enhanced broadcast partnership with NBC, it certainly adds to the excitement for the future. We know that the ways our fans are watching races and viewing INDYCAR content is rapidly changing, so staying ahead of the curve and the developing technology with our partners is important to the growth of our sport. We look forward to working with the NBC team to continue to build INDYCAR and take the sport in new directions.

“We also need to thank ABC and ESPN for all their terrific coverage over the years. The ABC network helped bring some of the most memorable moments in racing to life – including many of our team’s Indianapolis 500 victories – and we appreciate all of their hard work and passion for INDYCAR racing.”

Bobby Rahal: “It’s great news. I think the fact that the IndyCar Series will be under one roof, so to speak, network-wise can do nothing but great things for our sport. To increase to having eight races on network TV is also great news of course.

“The quality of the NBC broadcasts have gotten better and better over the last several years. They do a great job of providing interesting and entertaining content for the viewers and I think that will only continue to grow with the relationship going forward. That type of storytelling is also what helps bring new fans to the sport.”



Follow @JerryBonkowski