Formula E launches new Spark-Renault at Frankfurt Motor Show

2 Comments

Buildup for the new FIA Formula E championship, the all-electric single-seater series set to debut in September 2014, continued Tuesday with the launch of its new Spark-Renault SRT_01E at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

A test car has already had demonstration runs – notably in Los Angeles the day after IndyCar’s Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach – but this marks the car’s official introduction.

It’s a Dallara-built, carbon fiber and aluminum monocoque chassis with McLaren Electronic Systems providing the electric motor, and gearbox. Custom-made 18-inch tires have been built by Michelin. Spark will build 42 cars with each driver set to use two over the course of a one-hour race.

“The innovative technology deployed follows the best environmental practices, highlighting the potential of the Formula E Championship to spark a revolution in the development of new electromobility systems, not just for motorsport but also for everyday use,” FIA President Jean Todt said in a series release. “This new championship builds on the FIA’s traditional role as a leading promoter of innovation, technology and performance in the automotive sector.”

There’s been two other bits to emerge from a corporate side for Formula E just in the last couple days, as well. DHL was announced on Tuesday as part of a “multiyear global partnership” providing the series’ logistics services. The partnership makes sense on the surface given the planned entry from Andretti Autosport, who has DHL as a sponsor of Ryan Hunter-Reay’s IndyCar.

Additionally, Qualcomm has signed on as Official Founding Technology Partner of the championship. Qualcomm’s new and sustainable technologies are planned to be integrated into the series.

The series is now roughly a year from its first race and has several teams planning entry, including Andretti, and also has Gil de Ferran as a series ambassador. It now has several pieces of its 2014 puzzle put together.

FIA returns Manor’s F1 entry fee for 2017

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Good news: Manor Grand Prix Racing Limited got a refund of an entry fee it paid to the FIA to run in this year’s F1 season.

Bad news: Manor still hasn’t run this year, and won’t be for the foreseeable future (especially as Manor’s former leadership staff is moving that team into FIA WEC’s new-look LMP1 class in addition to its LMP2 program).

Manor Group’s receivership outfit, Just Racing Services Limited, went into administration earlier this year. As there was no new buyer for the F1 team, Manor dropped from the 2017 grid before the season.

The FIA said it would return its entry fee to help Manor Group pay off outstanding debts.

It basically means nothing in the grand scheme of things since Manor missed out on 10th place in the constructor’s standings in 2016 and fell from the F1 grid as a result, but hey, it’s a goodwill gesture going into Thanksgiving this week.