Geico 400 - Qualifying

Logano turns the page to tomorrow’s Chase opener at Chicagoland

4 Comments

Despite finishing second to Kyle Busch in today’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Chicagoland Speedway, it sounds as if Joey Logano nonetheless had a productive day in regards to picking up ideas for tomorrow’s Chase for the Sprint Cup curtain-raiser.

Logano, one of the 13 drivers in this year’s Chase, will start from the pole position for the GEICO 400, a race that he and his Penske Racing crew have pin-pointed for some time.

“[The Cup car] was really good [in practice] and I think we have a shot at winning the race tomorrow,” Logano said today at Chicagoland. “I learned some things today that can help. I was talking to [Cup crew chief] Todd [Gordon] out there with Jeremy Bullins together. We were all debriefing today to figure out what will help for tomorrow.

“We are working as one team here to figure out what we have to do to win this championship. This is one of those tracks we circled as one we can really capitalize on and so far, we are doing that. We just have to try to win this thing tomorrow.”

As he embarks on his first Chase, Logano is trying to block out the controversy of the last week – some of which involved him and Penske Racing, whom along with Front Row Motorsports, were put on probation until the end of the year.

Today, NASCAR held a closed-door meeting for its personnel in the Chicagoland garages to define what’s expected of drivers and teams going forward. Logano felt that the meeting was a necessary one and allows everyone to “turn the page now.”

“It is clarifying what we can and cannot do,” Logano said of the meeting. “We are all competitors trying to find an advantage where we can. Anytime you can clarify rules, it helps our sport I feel like throughout each time and throughout all of NASCAR.

“…I am glad we can put it all behind us now and look ahead into the Chase. It is going to be an awesome championship, because we have 13 cars that can win this thing. I don’t know who the favorite is going into this. There are a lot of guys that can win it. Hopefully, we are one of the favorites – I think we are.”

Haas confirms driver running order for Barcelona F1 tests

MONTMELO, SPAIN - FEBRUARY 24:  Romain Grosjean of France and Haas F1 drives during day three of F1 winter testing at Circuit de Catalunya on February 24, 2016 in Montmelo, Spain.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Haas Formula 1 team has confirmed its driver running order for the two upcoming collective tests in Barcelona, Spain.

Haas will unveil its new car for 2017, the VF-17, on Sunday ahead of the first day of pre-season testing in Barcelona on February 27.

New signing Kevin Magnussen will get the first run in the VF-17, having joined Haas from Renault during the winter.

Magnussen will take the first two days in Barcelona before handing the reins over to Romain Grosjean, who returns to Haas after an impressive year leading its charge in 2016, for days three and four.

Magnussen will once again open proceedings for Haas at the second test, starting on March 7, and is also due to run on March 9. Grosjean takes March 8 and March 10, the latter being the final day of testing before the first race of the season in Melbourne, Australia.

“In our first test of the season, you try to make sure everything works as you designed it,” Haas team principal Guenther Steiner said.

“You just prove out whatever you did, and in the second part of the test, you try to get performance out of the car. Or, better said, you try to get performance as quickly as possible.

“First of all, make sure everything works. Everything is new on the car. The first test is quite important just from a reliability factor.

“You try to learn as much as possible about the car. You get the baseline on the car and you work off that baseline the rest of the year.”

Haas F1 Team – Barcelona Test Schedule

Test 1
February 27 – Kevin Magnussen
February 28 – Kevin Magnussen
March 1 – Romain Grosjean
March 2 – Romain Grosjean

Test 2
March 7 – Kevin Magnussen
March 8 – Romain Grosjean
March 9 – Kevin Magnussen
March 10 – Romain Grosjean

Ferrari confirms Bruni’s exit, signs Pier Guidi to AF Corse WEC team

premiazione-gt-2
© Ferrari
Leave a comment

Ferrari has confirmed that Gianmaria Bruni will leave the company in June, making way for Alessandro Pier Guidi to join its AF Corse factory team in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

Bruni has been linked with a factory drive at Porsche for some time, with his exit from Ferrari by mutual consent being confirmed on Sunday.

“Ferrari and Gianmaria Bruni announce that, by mutual consent, they have early terminated their relationship,” a statement from Ferrari read.

“After a collaboration started in 2007, Bruni will leave Ferrari at the end of June of this year.

“Ferrari thanks Gianmaria Bruni for his professional contribution and wishes him the best of luck for his new challenges.”

Pier Guidi raced for AF Corse at Le Mans last year in the GTE Pro class, and also took part in five rounds of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship in 2016 with Scuderia Corsa. The Italian also won the Rolex 24 at Daytona’s GTD class in 2014 driving a Ferrari 458 Italia.

Pier Guidi will race alongside James Calado in the No. 51 Ferrari 488 GTE in the WEC this season, leaving the second line-up of Sam Bird and Davide Rigon unchanged.

The new WEC season begins on April 16 at Silverstone in England.

Lewis Hamilton frustrated by sharing data with teammates in F1

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - NOVEMBER 13:  Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain driving the (44) Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team Mercedes F1 WO7 Mercedes PU106C Hybrid turbo leads Nico Rosberg of Germany driving the (6) Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team Mercedes F1 WO7 Mercedes PU106C Hybrid turbo on track during the Formula One Grand Prix of Brazil at Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace on November 13, 2016 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
2 Comments

Lewis Hamilton feels frustrated that sharing data between teammates has become commonplace in Formula 1, saying it is unfair to gain an advantage by studying someone else’s homework.

Most F1 teams operate an open garage policy that sees their drivers help each other find areas for improvement by studying data from both cars following sessions.

Hamilton revealed in a Q&A for UBS that he found this frustrating, and has asked his Mercedes team not to show him data from across the garage.

“I go out, do my laps, do all my homework – the other guy can see everything,” Hamilton said.

“I have asked my team: ‘I don’t want to see my teammate’s [data]’. I don’t feel it’s fair that he brings his A-game and I should be able to study his A-game on a computer.

“The other driver naturally may be able to do more or less than you are. But because of this data they can just copy you.

“He’s braking five metres later there, I’ll go out and I’ll try braking five metres later.”

Hamilton said that he missed the rawness of go-karting at times, with talent being the main difference between drivers instead of data analysis.

“That’s what I loved about go-karting. You weren’t able to do that and that was where just your raw talent is able to shine,” Hamilton said.

“I think it should be: ‘You hired me because I am the best, because I’ve studied, because I’ve won every class that I’ve been in, I’ve not missed one in terms of winning’.

“And you’re hiring whoever the next person is because they’ve hopefully won some things along the way as well and you’re hiring them for their ultimate skill all round.

“They should be able to go out there on their own and find it all themselves without you.

“If I can’t do it on my own then I’m not good enough and I don’t deserve to be there. And there are some drivers that don’t.”

Sebastien Buemi: Renault e.dams’ Formula E advantage is clear

2016/2017 FIA Formula E Championship.
Buenos Aires ePrix, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Saturday 18 February 2017.

Photo: Sam Bloxham/LAT/Formula E
ref: Digital Image _SLA8482
© Formula E
Leave a comment

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina – Sebastien Buemi says that Renault e.dams’ current advantage over the Formula E field is clear for all to see after taking his third straight victory on Saturday in Buenos Aires.

Buemi followed his victories in Hong Kong and Marrakesh with a dominant display at the Puerto Madero street course in Argentina, taking the lead on lap six and never looking likely to lose the race from there.

The Swiss driver now stands 29 points clear at the top of the Formula E drivers’ championship after just three races, and is already the strong favorite to take a second crown in 2017.

“I think it’s clear that we have right now the best car, the best package. That obviously helps but it’s not everything,” Buemi said.

“You need to be doing good races, a good car and be a good team. I think as a package we’ve come out a bit better than the rest.

“We know that’s not going to last forever. If we can get as many points as possible as long as it lasts, that would be good.”

Buemi’s victory may have seemed straightforward, but the ex-Formula 1 driver revealed that the second stint of the race saw a number of problems arise that kept him on his toes.

“Today with the heat, there were many other things we had to manage, particularly the temperature of the battery,” Buemi said.

“We had some small issues on the brakes. It was quite difficult to actually drive the car.

“The car was not braking straight.”

To have finally won in Buenos Aires was also an important landmark for Buemi, having come close twice before.

“I’m quite happy because the first race here two years ago, I had pole and I did a mistake and ended up in the wall,” Buemi said.

“The second year I started last and finished second. In the end to get a win here is a great achievement. This race has never really gone our way but today it did.

“We’ll try to enjoy that a little bit and then look to Mexico.”