Rick Hendrick talks about decision to put Gordon into Chase

1 Comment

Earlier today, NASCAR team owner Rick Hendrick – who now has all four of his drivers in this year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup after the sanctioning body put in Jeff Gordon as a 13th Chase driver – declared that it was clear Gordon deserved to be in the post-season after last Saturday’s race at Richmond International Raceway.

“I didn’t have to make that decision, but I sure felt like it was obvious that [Gordon] got taken out by a manipulation instead of getting beat,” Hendrick said at Chicagoland Speedway according to Jim Litke of The Associated Press.  “I think the world knew it and they had to do what they did.”

NASCAR’s decision to add Gordon to the playoff run was the second change to its post-season field made since the events of Richmond, in which Clint Bowyer intentionally spun out with seven laps to go to try and help Michael Waltrip Racing teammate Martin Truex Jr. make the Chase.

That spin proved to stop Ryan Newman from winning the race and earning a Wild Card spot in the Chase, but this past Monday, penalties levied against MWR knocked Truex out of the Chase and brought Newman in. Then on Friday, NASCAR made its unprecedented decision to add a 13th driver to the Chase – Gordon, who was also impacted negatively by Bowyer’s spin.

According to the AP, Hendrick believed the penalties will be helpful in the long run to teams and drivers in regards to knowing what they can and can’t do. NASCAR held a closed-door meeting yesterday at Chicagoland, telling team personnel that a 100 percent effort is expected from here on in.

Today, Hendrick is a bit happier than how he felt last weekend after the Richmond race.

“…I was just disgusted and left,” he said according to the AP. “I didn’t hang around. I got out of there as soon as it was over because it wouldn’t have done any good.”

Takuma Sato’s likeness revealed on Borg-Warner Trophy (PHOTOS)

Photos; Walt Kuhn
Leave a comment

INDIANAPOLIS – Rather than the traditional December unveil, this year’s reveal newest likeness added to the Borg-Warner Trophy came Tuesday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum.

Takuma Sato got to see the result of the sculpting done by William Behrends and then turned from wax, clay and ceramic into sterling silver on Tuesday evening, as the winner of the 101st Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil saw his face revealed on the trophy.

Sato took the No. 26 Ruoff Home Mortgage Honda for Andretti Autosport to the win in thrilling fashion this year over Helio Castroneves, denying the Brazilian his fourth Indianapolis 500 victory in the process. It atoned for his near-miss in 2012, driving for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, the team he’ll return to in 2018.

It’s been a whirlwind last week-plus for Sato, doing the podium interviews at the Japanese Grand Prix, reflecting on his Indianapolis 500 triumph, then sharing the victory spoils with another Japanese pilot in Yoshihide Muroya, who won the Red Bull Air Race World Championship at Indianapolis this weekend.

Photos of Sato’s face on the most unique trophy in sports are below. This post will be updated following tonight’s full unveil. (All photos: Walt Kuhn)