Hulkenberg: No hard feelings over Ferrari deal

Leave a comment

Nico Hulkenberg has said that there are no hard feelings between him and Ferrari despite missing out on the seat at the team for the second year in a row.

The German driver was closely linked with Felipe Massa’s seat in 2012, but Ferrari opted to retain the Brazilian driver for the current season. However, the decision to drop Massa for 2014 appears to have been taken around the time of the British Grand Prix, with Hulkenberg having a Ferrari contract on the table only for the team to sign Kimi Raikkonen once the Finn’s talks with Red Bull had broken down. Despite the situation, Hulkenberg does not feel bitter.

“I think the relationship [with Ferrari] is as good and as positive as before,” he explained in Thursday’s press conference ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix. “I think there has maybe been some misunderstanding and that story has been blown up by the media. I read that too but no, I don’t feel that.”

Hulkenberg was also quick to deny reports that he had been informed of Ferrari’s decision by text message, and he is refusing to dwell on the entire matter.

“There’s no point now to think about that too much,” he said. “That’s history now. I have to look forward and move on.”

Following Raikkonen’s move to Ferrari, Hulkenberg is now being linked with the Finn’s vacant seat at Lotus.

Montoya: ‘Hopefully I get a chance to do Indy again’ (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Juan Pablo Montoya is on site at this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, his latest trip in a summer and fall filled with a lot of international travel and a number of different race cars he’s been in.

Montoya is committed to a full season in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship with Acura Team Penske in 2018, as he’ll share one of the team’s Acura ARX-05s with Dane Cameron.

However, the question of whether he’ll be able to race in the 102nd Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil remains.

Team Penske has said it plans to only run four cars next month of May, with Helio Castroneves as the fourth driver alongside the three full-time cars driven by Josef Newgarden, Simon Pagenaud and Will Power.

While Montoya has said elsewhere that he’s shopping offers and has talked with other teams, it’d be highly surprising to see the two-time Indianapolis 500 champion who developed the Chevrolet engine for IndyCar’s 2018 Dallara universal body kit in a Honda-powered IndyCar, although he is running Honda’s brand (Acura) in sports cars.

Montoya elaborated on his Indy 500 prospects in an interview with NBCSN pit reporter and insider Will Buxton at the Circuit of The Americas.

“Not full-time no,” Montoya told NBCSN of his IndyCar 2018 prospects. “Hopefully I get a chance to go to Indy, hopefully with Penske, (and) if not someone else. We’ll see.”

Photo: IndyCar

Montoya has extolled the early testing both on the 2018 IndyCar and on the Acura ARX-05.

The first Acura chassis has run at Road Atlanta and Sebring International Raceway thus far, and will be put through its paces at other venues over the next few months.

“It’s been good. We did a lot of work with INDYCAR on that car. Fans are gonna like it,” Montoya said of the 2018 kit.

“Going to IMSA with the Acura program, we’ve done a lot of testing. It’s a beauty to drive. It drives better than what it looks! I haven’t had that much fun driving a race car in a long time.”

Acura ARX-05 Daytona Prototype international (DPi) race car to be campaigned by Team Penske in 2018