Montoya feels his stock car experience will help in IndyCar return

11 Comments

IndyCars and stock cars may be drastically different racing machines, but Juan Pablo Montoya believes that his time in NASCAR has provided him with lessons that will be valuable to him as he prepares to return to the open-wheel landscape next season for Team Penske.

I think you learn so many things about the cars that you will never understand, or believe or see,” Montoya noted Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. “There are a lot more basic things that you ignore in open wheel…There are a lot of things to learn.

“And as I said at the beginning of this week, it is going to be an uphill battle in a lot of ways, but I am looking forward to the challenge.”

The outspoken Colombian has only won twice in his seven years of Sprint Cup competition, and has only been able to make the Chase once. It has been a marked contrast from his past glory days in open-wheel, which were filled with accomplishments such as the 1999 CART championship, the 2000 Indianapolis 500 victory, and seven Grand Prix wins in Formula One from 2001-2006.

However, Montoya is not one to think that his stock car career hasn’t been fruitful.

“There is a lot of pluses of being here these years,” he said. “I don’t think that they are wasted years. I think that I learned a lot. I’m just looking forward to being in a winning car.”

Montoya will be part of a formidable three-car stable at Team Penske next year in IndyCar alongside Helio Castroneves (the current IZOD IndyCar Series championship leader) and Will Power. And you would assume that he’ll indeed have a car that’s capable of making him a winner again.

But even with all of his talent, he admits that it will take a bit to get used to things – especially the equipment, which has changed considerably since his first go-round in IndyCar.

“One of the good things about it is that when I drove [IndyCars], they were sequential – manually sequential gearbox. Now they are paddle shift like the F1 [car] was,” Montoya said.

“It is actually…I would say…easier than it used to be…I hadn’t even thought about the push-to-pass yet. There are a lot of things I am going to learn and a lot of mistakes I am going to do with the push-to-pass; not using it or over using it and stuff.

“We’ll learn, and I think the more I look at videos and prepare myself for the race, the better I am going to be.”

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
1 Comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”