Kyle Busch more prepared in 2013 after missing last year’s Chase

Leave a comment

Kyle Busch has forged a reputation as one of the more intense competitors in the Sprint Cup garage, so one can imagine how he felt about missing the Chase for the Sprint Cup last season.

But in the year or so since that dark moment, Busch believes that he and his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing team have been able to gain the confidence necessary to contend in NASCAR’s post-season stretch.

On Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, he appeared to indicate that his optimism comes from the strong results he had in the final 10 events of 2012. In that stretch, he racked up seven Top-5 and eight Top-10 finishes.

“Throughout the [2012] Chase, we had a lot of really good runs, so that all put us in the sense that we can do this,” Busch said. “It’s not rocket science. We know how to race, we know how to run upfront and when the pressure is on the line, obviously, that situation is going to be a little different.

“But we need to act as though the pressure isn’t on the line or to just be able to do what we’ve done all year long that’s got us to this point in the first 26 races.”

Busch was second to winner Brian Vickers earlier this summer at New Hampshire, and will roll off 12th for tomorrow’s Sylvania 300 at NHMS after finishing second to teammate Matt Kenseth in the first Chase race last weekend at Chicagoland.

That puts him eight markers off of his JGR compatriot in the championship, but like Kenseth, he too isn’t thinking about the points picture this early on.

“We know last week was a second-place, but as far as points are concerned and everything else, it’s not the time to look at any of that or worry about any of that,” he said.

“So, for ourselves, I don’t know where I am and I don’t want to know where I am. But I think it will all take care of itself when it comes down to crunch time and the better you can perform and do on Sundays, then it’s going to take care of itself a lot easier.”

Formula One: Recapping the past week’s news

Photo: Getty Images
Leave a comment

While the FIA Formula 1 World Championship is still two months away from beginning its 2018 season, this past week did bring about news items that filled out the 2018 grid and shed some light on individual team and car launches as the season-opening Australian Grand Prix draws closer.

Below is a recap of F1 news from this past week:

Williams Signs Sirotkin for 2018 Drive, Names Kubica as Reserve Driver

The saga of the second seat at Williams Martini Racing was finally resolved early on in the week, with former Renault Sport F1 Team test driver Sergey Sirotkin officially confirmed as a teammate to the incumbent Lance Stroll in 2018.

The announcement concluded months of speculation that saw multiple drivers test for the team in an auditioning capacity. Most notably, Robert Kubica looked to be a main contender for the seat before Sirotkin emerged as the favorite.

However, Kubica, who has not raced in Formula 1 since a devastating rally accident in 2011 left him with brutal injuries to his right arm, was named as a reserve and development driver for the team.

This announcement also completes the 2018 Formula 1 driver lineup, with all 11 teams having their seats now filled. Among those who were left without F1 drives are Paul Di Resta, who drove for Williams at the Hungarian Grand Prix in relief of Felipe Massa and even tested with them during the Winter months, and Antonio Giovinazzi, who filled in for Pascal Wehrlein at the Australian and Chinese Grands Prix.

Former Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat is also without a race seat for 2018, but did sign on with Scuderia Ferrari as a development driver.

Mercedes, McLaren Reveal Dates for Their 2018 Car Launches

While most teams have not yet released dates for when their 2018 cars will be publicly launched, three notables have.

Mercedes AMG Petronas will introduce its 2018 challenger on February 22nd, the same day Ferrari is doing so, while McLaren will unveil its car one day later on the 23rd.

Testing will commence on February 26th at Circuit de Catalunya.

Follow@KyleMLavigne