Kyle Busch more prepared in 2013 after missing last year’s Chase

Leave a comment

Kyle Busch has forged a reputation as one of the more intense competitors in the Sprint Cup garage, so one can imagine how he felt about missing the Chase for the Sprint Cup last season.

But in the year or so since that dark moment, Busch believes that he and his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing team have been able to gain the confidence necessary to contend in NASCAR’s post-season stretch.

On Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, he appeared to indicate that his optimism comes from the strong results he had in the final 10 events of 2012. In that stretch, he racked up seven Top-5 and eight Top-10 finishes.

“Throughout the [2012] Chase, we had a lot of really good runs, so that all put us in the sense that we can do this,” Busch said. “It’s not rocket science. We know how to race, we know how to run upfront and when the pressure is on the line, obviously, that situation is going to be a little different.

“But we need to act as though the pressure isn’t on the line or to just be able to do what we’ve done all year long that’s got us to this point in the first 26 races.”

Busch was second to winner Brian Vickers earlier this summer at New Hampshire, and will roll off 12th for tomorrow’s Sylvania 300 at NHMS after finishing second to teammate Matt Kenseth in the first Chase race last weekend at Chicagoland.

That puts him eight markers off of his JGR compatriot in the championship, but like Kenseth, he too isn’t thinking about the points picture this early on.

“We know last week was a second-place, but as far as points are concerned and everything else, it’s not the time to look at any of that or worry about any of that,” he said.

“So, for ourselves, I don’t know where I am and I don’t want to know where I am. But I think it will all take care of itself when it comes down to crunch time and the better you can perform and do on Sundays, then it’s going to take care of itself a lot easier.”

Toro Rosso boss hopes to see Kvyat return to Formula 1

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost hopes to see sacked driver Daniil Kvyat return to Formula 1 in the near future, saying the Russian “deserves” a place on the grid.

Toro Rosso dropped Kvyat twice through the 2017 season due to poor form, with his final dismissal coming after the United States Grand Prix in October.

Kvyat is no longer part of Red Bull’s motorsport program and is exploring options both inside and outside of F1 for 2018, and Tost feels he could be energized by some time away before returning.

“I am still convinced that Daniil has a very high natural speed. He was sometimes even faster than Daniel Riccardo, but somehow last year and this year he couldn’t show the potential that is within him,” Tost told the official F1 website.

“He was involved in many incidents, but in his defence I also have to say that he had many reliability issues and that didn’t help build up confidence. Being the victim of too many incidents killed the performance he would have been able to show.

“Maybe a short break – to get organized again – and probably we will see Daniil back at his usual performance level with another team.

“Sometimes he was too aggressive at the beginning of the race. The first corner was his weak point. He wanted too much in the first hundred meters – success by any means!

“That puts you under pressure – unnecessary pressure – and that never works.

“I hope for him that he gets another chance, as I think he deserves to be in F1.”