New Hampshire Motor Speedway eyeing night race in summer

3 Comments

New Hampshire Motor Speedway’s summer NASCAR weekend may undergo a big change if track officials get their way. Citing fan feedback, NHMS executive vice president and general manager Jerry Gappens has revealed that they’re interested in turning their July event into a night-time race.

According to NASCAR.com’s Kenny Bruce, such a move would not only require NASCAR’s approval but also the approval of local authorities; the original agreement when the track was first built included the stipulation that there would be no night races.

But Gappens is hoping he can get around that matter in order to ensure that New England’s punishing summers stop having an adverse effect on his track’s box office.

“We do a lot with our fans; I’m all over this place during race week interacting with fans and…That is the feedback I’ve gotten,” Gappens said Saturday according to Bruce.

“I’ve learned one thing, New Englanders don’t like 90-95 degree heat and high humidity. And I’m seeing the [ticket] numbers reflect that in renewals for July. I get letters [and] a lot of people who say they had their father or their parents with them and it was just too hot [in July].”

Should NHMS gain the approval of both NASCAR and the locals, Gappens believes that the track would be ready to host night racing in 2015.

Toro Rosso boss hopes to see Kvyat return to Formula 1

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost hopes to see sacked driver Daniil Kvyat return to Formula 1 in the near future, saying the Russian “deserves” a place on the grid.

Toro Rosso dropped Kvyat twice through the 2017 season due to poor form, with his final dismissal coming after the United States Grand Prix in October.

Kvyat is no longer part of Red Bull’s motorsport program and is exploring options both inside and outside of F1 for 2018, and Tost feels he could be energized by some time away before returning.

“I am still convinced that Daniil has a very high natural speed. He was sometimes even faster than Daniel Riccardo, but somehow last year and this year he couldn’t show the potential that is within him,” Tost told the official F1 website.

“He was involved in many incidents, but in his defence I also have to say that he had many reliability issues and that didn’t help build up confidence. Being the victim of too many incidents killed the performance he would have been able to show.

“Maybe a short break – to get organized again – and probably we will see Daniil back at his usual performance level with another team.

“Sometimes he was too aggressive at the beginning of the race. The first corner was his weak point. He wanted too much in the first hundred meters – success by any means!

“That puts you under pressure – unnecessary pressure – and that never works.

“I hope for him that he gets another chance, as I think he deserves to be in F1.”