Separate Indy Lights moves see Dempsey out, Daly in for Houston

Leave a comment

There’s a pair of changes for the Firestone Indy Lights Series next weekend at Houston, the penultimate round of their championship.

The unfortunate news first: Peter Dempsey, the popular and eternally snakebit Irishman, has yet again found himself a victim of circumstances. He and the Belardi Auto Racing team announced a lack of funding to get him through the final two races of the season.

“It’s very disappointing to not be in a position to finish out the championship with Belardi Auto Racing,” Dempsey said in a team release.  “However, I do fully understand the unfortunate reasons for their decision.  Motorsport is an expensive sport and things like this happen all the time.  I’ve really enjoyed the last year with the team.  Brian [Belardi] gave me the biggest opportunity anyone has ever given me, and that’s something I will never forget.”

Dempsey’s fourth-to-first last lap move in the Firestone Freedom 100 was his and Belardi’s first career win in Indy Lights, and a highlight for the finish of the year in racing. He stands fifth in points, 35 behind series leader Sage Karam.

Meanwhile, one of the most versatile drivers of the 2013 season, Conor Daly, will make his return to Indy Lights for the Houston weekend. He’ll drive the No. 22 TMR-RUS INDUSTRIAL-ALS ASSOCIATION entry for Team Moore Racing; Mark Moore’s squad returns to the track after withdrawing at Baltimore with then-driver Juan Pablo Garcia.

“I’m very excited to get in a Lights car with Team Moore Racing,” said Daly, who won the Long Beach Indy Lights race in 2011, his only year in the series. “They’re prepared at a high level and I can’t wait to get on the street course in Houston. It’s been a while since I’ve been in the car, but I am confident we can get up to speed quickly. I’ve known Mark for a long time and I’m glad we could put something together.”

Daly has raced the Indianapolis 500, GP2, GP3 and the MRF Challenge championships this year.

Toyota victorious in Bahrain on Porsche’s LMP1 swansong

Toyota Motorsport GmbH
Leave a comment

SAKHIR, Bahrain – Toyota denied Porsche a swansong victory in its final LMP1 appearance in the FIA World Endurance Championship by taking a commanding win in the 6 Hours of Bahrain on Saturday.

Porsche started from pole in the last competitive outing for the three-time Le Mans-winning 919 Hybrid car, only to lose out to Toyota’s Sebastien Buemi within the first half an hour of the race.

Porsche lost one of its cars from contention for victory after an errant bollard got stuck underneath Timo Bernhard’s No. 2 entry, leaving Nick Tandy to lead its charge in the No. 1 car.

Tandy moved into the lead just past half distance after a bold strategy call from Porsche to triple-stint the Briton after a fuel-only stop, vaulting him ahead of Anthony Davidson in the No. 8 Toyota.

Tandy’s win hopes were soon dashed when he tangled with a GTE-Am backmarker at Turn 1, sustaining damage that forced Porsche into an unplanned pit stop that put the car a lap down.

With the No. 7 Toyota losing two laps following a clash with a GTE-Pro car earlier on, Davidson, Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima went unchallenged en route to the car’s fifth victory of the season.

Porsche rounded out the podium with its cars, with the No. 2 leading home the No. 1, leaving Toyota’s No. 7 car to settle for P4 at the checkered flag.

Vaillante Rebellion clinched the title in LMP2 after a stunning fightback led by Bruno Senna, with the Brazilian securing his maiden motorsport championship win in the process.

GTE-Pro saw AF Corse complete a hat-trick of titles in 2017, with James Calado and Alessandro Pier Guidi wining the class’ first world championship recognized by the FIA, while Paul Dalla Lana, Pedro Lamy and Mathias Lauda sewed up the GTE-Am title.