Lime Rock Park

Taylor, Angelelli, Balzan and Norman become final GRAND-AM Rolex champs

Leave a comment

Jordan Taylor and Max Angelelli ended the GRAND-AM era in style with a dominant victory at Lime Rock Park that also earned them the final Daytona Prototype championship in Rolex Series history, while Alessandro Balzan and Dr. Jim Norman put their names into the history books as the series’ final GT and GX class champions respectively.

Taylor, driving the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette, was forced to withstand one last restart with three minutes remaining after a multi-car incident involving Patrick Long, Richard Westbrook and Alex Gurney brought out the yellow with less then 10 minutes to go.

But just as he showed in the late going at Kansas and Laguna Seca, Taylor came up clutch when it counted and quickly pulled away of his rivals to secure the win and the championship.

In a season that saw multiple squads take over the DP points lead only to give it up because of various calamities on the track, he and Angelelli were the ones to finally keep a grip on the prize.

“I’m a bit of a loser in a way – racing is my life and I’ve only got a few friends,” Taylor said self-deprecatingly afterwards to Fox Sports. “But it’s family, friends and racing for me, so I’m just happy to finally get a championship with, basically, my brother, Max.”

Angelelli, who once again opened things for the No. 10 today and claimed his second career Rolex Series title, was beaming with pride.

“It’s just a fantastic job, the whole team,” Angelelli said. “We are all together. Pit stops, strategy – they were just fantastic. Everything worked out.”

Meanwhile in GT, the championship was altered dramatically in the opening laps when the class-leading No. 44 Magnus Racing Porsche of John Potter made contact with Richie Stanaway in the No. 66 TRG Aston Martin and was sent spinning in Turn 2.

The No. 11 Lotus GX machine of Scott Dollahite then slammed into the No. 44, causing considerable front end damage and forcing it behind the wall for necessary repairs.

The car would eventually come back and finish 13th in class, which was not enough to stop Balzan from claiming the GT crown after surviving a mid-race run-in with fellow Ferrari pilot Jeff Segal and then finishing second to the race-winning No. 31 Marsh Racing Corvette of Eric Curran and Lawson Aschenbach.

“It was the hardest race ever in my life,” Balzan said. “For me to be here, the first year for me and the first year for Scuderia Corsa, to get the championship – I think we’re going to spend one fantastic holiday this winter.

“It was really unlucky what happened to the [Magnus] Porsche, but it was a really wild race, especially in the last 40 minutes. Not everyone was really fair, but you know, I’m the champion, the team is the champion, Ferrari is the champion. We cannot ask for more.”

Early in the race, the GX title was clinched by Dr. Norman, who went on to finish second with co-driver Spencer Pumpelly in the race behind winners Tom Long and Sylvain Tremblay.

“It’s been a great year for us battling those factory Mazdas,” Norman said following an early stint. “I’ve got a great teammate, Spencer’s an amazing driver and a great coach. We’re really proud and pleased to be the first champions [of this class].”

Also earning a GRAND-AM title today were Nick Longhi and Matt Plumb, who claimed the Grand Sport title in the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge earlier this morning.

With GRAND-AM’s fond farewell this afternoon, the sports car world now turns to the other piece of #TheFuture – the American Le Mans Series, which will stage its penultimate race next weekend at Virginia International Raceway before closing up shop with the Petit Le Mans from Road Atlanta on Oct. 19.

The two series will merge into the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship next season.

Zach Veach confirmed with Belardi to start 2016 Indy Lights season

Photo: Belardi Auto Racing
Leave a comment

Two-year Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires series veteran Zach Veach will return to the series in 2016 following a year’s hiatus. At the moment, it’s for the start of the season only but with the intended plan of making it a full-season effort.

The young American joins the Belardi Auto Racing team, which he narrowly lost out to in his last full-time campaign in 2014 when he finished third in the points.

Veach, who turns 21 next month, is Brian Belardi’s first confirmed driver for the 2016 season. Perhaps one of the single most experienced drivers in the Mazda Road to Indy, Veach has been on all three rungs (Indy Lights, Pro Mazda, USF2000) since 2010 and spent 2015 as a color commentator for the IndyCar Radio Network.

He tested for the team last month at Sebring, and will have several other tests before the St. Petersburg season opening weekend March 11-13.

“I’m very thankful for this opportunity that Brian Belardi has given me,” Veach said. “After racing against his team for so many years, I’ve always had a ton of respect for him, his crew, and of course, his cars. Belardi Auto Racing competes to win championships and I would love to give them their second Indy Lights title.

“Right now, we only have a partial program in place, but with a great amount of effort on both sides. We will be doing everything possible to try to get funding together for an entire season, so we can put a championship fight in place. I look towards winter testing, and 2016, with a lot of hope and excitement.”

“We’re really happy to have Zach confirmed with us for next year, and we’ll work closely with him to make sure that we can get the funding we need to run him all season,” Belardi added.

“He’s a supreme talent both in and out of the car, and his initial test outings in the car were just as we expected.  Zach was on-pace very early in Sebring after familiarizing himself with the new Indy Lights car, and I know that we’ll challenge for race wins and the championship next year.”

ARCA releases 2016 schedule; Mobile out, Madison (Wisc.) returns

arca logo
Leave a comment

The ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards will have only minor changes to the 2016 season, the sanctioning body said Wednesday after revealing next season’s schedule.

The biggest change is Mobile, Alabama is off the schedule, to be replaced by a return to Madison, Wisconsin.

As ARCA enters its 64th consecutive year of racing, the schedule will once again feature 20 races for the third consecutive year, starting at Daytona International Speedway on February 13 and ending on Oct. 14 at Kansas Speedway.

ARCA 2016 sked



All told, there will be nine races on short tracks, eight on superspeedways, two on dirt and one on a road course.

“We are pleased to announce our full and complete schedule,” ARCA President Ron Drager said. “We feel we have once again put together a schedule that highlights the diversity of the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards. We are excited for the start of the new season.”

Other changes include:

* The annual Chicagoland Speedway race will be moved to Thursday night, Sept. 15, kicking off the opening weekend of NASCAR’s Chase for the Sprint Cup.

* The road course race at New Jersey will be moved to Saturday, May 28, rather than its previous Sunday afternoon date.

* The annual dirt race at DuQuoin State Fairgrounds in Illinois will shift from an afternoon to an evening race.

* The series will mark milestone events with the 75th series event at Toledo Speedway and the 99th and 100th races at southern Indiana’s Salem Speedway.

* The series will have companion races with all three of NASCAR’s pro touring series, as well as one weekend as the undercard for the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Iowa Speedway in July.

* As for the return to Madison, Drager said, “It was important for us to schedule a race in the Menards market. Last year, we did not have a race in either Minnesota or Wisconsin and this year, we decided to go back. We are definitely looking forward to racing again at Madison and the upper Midwest.”

* The annual awards banquet takes place Dec. 12 in Indianapolis.

Follow @JerryBonkowski

Ecclestone has ‘no doubts’ Monza will remain on F1 calendar

1 Comment

MILAN (AP) Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is confident the Italian Grand Prix in Monza can find the needed cash to stay on the calendar.

Ecclestone tells the Gazzetta dello Sport, “We will find the right solution – I no longer have doubts – to provide a future for the Italian GP.”

No circuit has hosted more F1 racing than Monza, but officials at the track outside Milan have had trouble producing the estimated 25 million euros ($26.6 million) per year that Ecclestone seeks to keep the race in place after the current contract expires next year.

Ecclstone says, “Things have been cleared up and there is only one go between, (Angelo) Sticchi Damiani, the president of the Italian Automobile Club.”

The Italian GP next year is scheduled for Sept. 4.

Alternative engine solution rejected by F1 Commission

Nico Rosberg

Plans to introduce a new alternative, cheaper engine into Formula 1 for 2017 – hypothetically a 2.2-liter V6 similar to what is seen in IndyCar – will at least temporarily go on the backburner.

The F1 Commission has rejected the so called “alternative engine solution,” where several companies submitted proposals to be that alternative supplier.

“The F1 Commission voted not to pursue this option at this stage — however, it may be reassessed after the Power Unit manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group,” the FIA said on Wednesday.

“The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One,” the statement added.

Meanwhile the statement outlined four things the current manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda – would be tasked with improving on the current 1.6-liter formula:

Those are:

  • a guarantee of supply to teams
  • the need to reduce the engines’ cost
  • simplification of the specification
  • “improved noise”

Further meetings between the manufacturers and the governing body are scheduled, including one this weekend at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix season finale.

As F1 heads into the final weekend of the season, political/paddock items such as Red Bull and Toro Rosso’s respective power unit futures, whether Renault’s takeover of Lotus will finally become official and what will happen with Manor’s team leadership stake – this marks Graeme Lowdon and John Booth’s final weekends although ex-McLaren man Dave Ryan has been hired as the team’s new racing director – are among the talking points.