Force India to pick drivers by Indian Grand Prix

1 Comment

Force India will make a decision on their driver line-up for next year around the time of the Indian Grand Prix at the end of the month.

Deputy team principal Bob Fernley told Autosport: “Our decision process is one that takes place around the Indian Grand Prix, it’s a shareholder decision and that’s always the timing for us.”

Both its current drivers have been with the team for several years. Paul di Resta joined in 2011 and Adrian Sutil has started every season Force India has competed in since it joined the sport in 2008, with the exception of last year. GP2 driver James Calado made his F1 debut for the team in practice for the Italian Grand Prix.

Force India are currently sixth in the world championship and are within range of fifth-placed McLaren which Fernley says makes them an attractive option for competitive drivers.

“You would be surprised how many good quality drivers there are but if you are being realistic,” he said, adding “there are probably three seats for four quality drivers”, referring to Force India’s two seats and the vacancy at Lotus created by Kimi Raikkonen’s move to Ferrari.

However he indicated the change in regulations next year will make it more attractive for teams not to change their driver line-ups: “”But nobody is going to be looking at a massive change for 2014.”

‘Still quite early’ for Ricciardo to think about Red Bull F1 future

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Daniel Ricciardo feels it is “still quite early” to make a decision about his Red Bull Formula 1 future despite seeing teammate Max Verstappen announce on Friday he would be staying with the team until 2020.

Verstappen, 20, put pen to paper on an enhanced F1 contract with Red Bull, with his previous deal due to expire at the end of next season in parallel to Ricciardo’s own agreement.

Ricciardo was asked following practice on Friday why he is yet to strike a new deal for himself with Red Bull, and explained he is in no rush to make a final decision when he has over a year to run on his current contract.

“It’s not that I’ve said no to anything. It’s just still quite early I think,” Ricciardo explained.

“People talked a little bit about contracts and the silly season for next year, but I thought that would still happen next year. It’s still quite early.

“If I’m to try and extract some positives out of his news it’s that it gives us good confidence for next year. He and his management see a lot of positives in the team to continue like that.

“I’m 100 per cent here next year, I can at least say that, and I think it gives both of us confidence that we’ll keep progressing the way we are.”

Red Bull said upon announcing Verstappen’s new deal that it wants to “build a team around him”, with the 20-year-old standing out as a once-in-a-generation talent.

The focus surrounding Verstappen has not left Ricciardo feeling as though he is in the shade or in any way playing second-fiddle to the Dutchman, stressing he has no internal concerns at Red Bull.

“For sure, as far as media goes, he certainly gets a lot of attention. He’s broken records for his age and things like that, so rightly so,” Ricciardo said.

“Take the media out of it, as far as inside the team, new parts on the car, things like this, there’s always been parity and equality.”

Verstappen is only the third driver to commit to a deal beyond the end of next season, following Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari and Fernando Alonso at McLaren on multi-year contracts.

All 10 F1 teams have at least one free seat for 2019, making Ricciardo a possible candidate for seats with either Mercedes or Ferrari were he to consider a move away from Red Bull.

Speaking to British broadcaster Sky Sports, Red Bull F1 advisor Helmut Marko said he felt Ricciardo was “putting himself on the market” by waiting to make a decision on his future, but that talks would take place when possible.