Indianapolis 500 - Practice

Chevrolet’s Bowtie Brigade in IndyCar gets bigger with Ganassi


Chip Ganassi Racing took advantage of this afternoon’s track repair delay at the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston to announce that Tony Kanaan would join the team in a fourth car sponsored by NTT Data next season.

But we all knew it was only a matter of time before that particular announcement went official. However, Chevrolet still made sure there would be a surprise by announcing that the Ganassi camp would defect from Honda and take on Bowtie power in 2014.

It’s a major development for Chevy. If it retains Andretti Autosport, that would see Chevrolet supply all three of the IZOD IndyCar Series’ “Big Three” teams. Ganassi and Team Penske and Andretti, which would be 12 cars.

Chevrolet’s Jim Campbell said the manufacturer could go above its 40 percent of the field threshold, a number set by IndyCar as a part of its contract.

Meanwhile, Honda is now set to lose its top American open-wheel franchise.

“This decision makes a lot of sense for us for a number of reasons,” Ganassi said in a statement. “We feel Chevrolet has done a great job in their return to the IndyCar Series and because of our existing relationship with them in NASCAR.

“There are a lot of synergies that we will be able to realize in working with the same manufacturer across the two series. We are thrilled.”

With the Ganassi NASCAR and IndyCar programs soon to both be under the Chevy banner (the NASCAR program having been with Chevy since the 2009 season), the obvious question is whether or not Ganassi’s sports car side will do the same.

That group currently runs with BMW power in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series, which is soon to merge with the American Le Mans Series into the TUDOR United SportsCar Series.

However, both Ganassi team managing director Mike Hull and Chevrolet’s Campbell didn’t quite point in that direction during this afternoon’s press conference.

“I don’t know about that,” Hull said about the possibility of consolidating all of Ganassi’s programs with Chevy. “The opportunity has come to be able to do this and we’re excited.”

Campbell would only say that he’s been pleased with his company’s sports car efforts thus far.

“If you look at how we’re structured…With our Corvette program in ALMS, we’ve run with Pratt & Miller and won seven of 14 24 Hours of Le Mans,” he said. “We have a terrific lineup on the Daytona Prototype side – this year, Wayne Taylor Racing won the championship with Jordan Taylor and Max Angelelli.

“I like our sports car lineup, and as I look forward, our opportunity to partner with Chip is stock car racing and open wheel.”

Chevrolet and Honda are currently tied for the 2013 manufacturer’s championship, with Honda having won five of the last six races to close their early season gap. But it appears that Chevy has gained the early edge for 2014.

Status targets 2016 GP2 title after GP3 exit

2015 GP2 Series Round 8.
Autodromo di Monza, Italy.
Sunday 6 September 2015.
Marlon Stockinger (PHL, Status Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP2 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C2088
© GP2 Series
Leave a comment

Status Grand Prix has set its sights on winning the 2016 GP2 Series championship following its decision to close down its GP3 team at the end of the current season.

Earlier this week, GP3 issued a statement confirming its team roster for the next three seasons that featured new entries from DAMS and Virtuosi Racing.

However, both Carlin and Status did not appear on the list, signalling that both had opted to leave GP3 at the end of 2015.

Status first entered GP3 back in 2010, but only set up a GP2 team in 2015 after taking over the old Caterham Racing operation.

This will now become the main focus for the Irish outfit, though, as explained by team boss Teddy Yip Jr. earlier this week.

“Status Grand Prix has not renewed entry into the GP3 Series from 2016 onwards in order to maximize focus on our GP2 campaign,” Yip said.

“Having finished second in the team championship in the inaugural GP3 Series, we have enjoyed six successful years in the category collecting nine race wins, 26 podium finishes and vying for numerous team and driver titles.

“We are very proud to have given opportunities and achieved success with drivers such as Robert Wickens, Antonio Felix da Costa, Alexander Sims and our current GP2 race winner, Richie Stanaway.

“We now look forward to finishing the 2015 GP2 and GP3 seasons on a high before mounting a robust GP2 title campaign in 2016.”

Both GP2 and GP3 return from a one-month break next weekend in support of the Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix.

Hakkinen: Verstappen is already “a real pro”

during a media interview at the Shanghai Grand Theatre prior to the 2015 Laureus World Sports Awards on April 15, 2015 in Shanghai, China.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Mika Hakkinen has heaped praise upon Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen, supporting his decision to ignore team orders during last month’s Singapore Grand Prix.

Verstappen only turned 18 on Wednesday, but has already made a big impression on the F1 world during his first 14 races with his aggressive driving style and mature approach to racing.

In Singapore, Verstappen was told by Toro Rosso to let faster teammate Carlos Sainz Jr. go past, but refused to give up his position and eventually beat the Spaniard to finish eighth.

Writing in his Hermes blog, Hakkinen backed Verstappen’s decision to stay ahead and praised the Dutchman for his performances so far this season.

“A driver must be alert and keep track of what is happening around him at all times,” Hakkinen wrote. “That’s what Verstappen is. He does not simply let anyone pass if it’s not for the world championship, but only a few championship points.

“Verstappen is 18 years old, but the guy’s already a real pro. Young people are developing incredibly fast nowadays, and by that I don’t mean just drivers.”

Despite having more than half a season of F1 racing under his belt, Verstappen only gained his road driver’s license on his 18th birthday, having previously been under the age limit to drive a regular car in public.