Boullier unsurprised by double podium for Lotus

1 Comment

Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has said that he was not surprised to see both of his drivers finish on the podium in Korea, believing that the result reflects that pace of the E21 car.

Having started third, Grosjean ran in P2 for the majority of the race before eventually finishing third behind teammate Kimi Raikkonen who had jumped up the order thanks to the safety car periods.

Speaking to NBC’s Will Buxton, Boullier said: “I don’t want to be arrogant but we were expecting Romain to be on the podium and Kimi to catch up in the top six, so obviously the safety car helped Kimi.

“But with the pace of the car, it should be on the podium.”

After becoming embroiled in a battle with Nico Hulkenberg, Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber for fifth, Raikkonen pitted early in an attempt to exploit the undercut and make up the positions. The safety car period allowed him to do this as well as preserving his tires and allowing him to go to the end of the race.

Romain Grosjean had been Vettel’s closest challenger, but a mistake on the restart following the first safety car period allowed Raikkonen to pass. Despite asking to be given the position back, Grosjean was told that he had to race Raikkonen for the place and he eventually finished just half a second behind his teammate.

“I think he [Grosjean] was a bit disappointed because he made one mistake on the restart from the safety car, and Kimi used the opportunity to pass him,” Boullier explained. “I think he was trying to get some help to pass back Kimi but we said “you are racing Kimi”.

“He was allowed to race but he couldn’t and I think he was a bit upset about having lost his position to Kimi.”

Grosjean will remain with Lotus in 2014, and performances such as this will prove that he can lead the team in the post-Raikkonen era as the Finn prepares to return to Ferrari for next season. His replacement is still to be announced, but Nico Hulkenberg and Felipe Massa are thought to be the two prime candidates.

Continental Tire named exclusive provider for Red Bull Global Rallycross series

Image courtesy Continental Tire
Leave a comment

Red Bull Global Rallycross will have new rubber going forward in the 2018 season.

Continental Tire the Americas on Tuesday announced a multi-year partnership with GRC starting with the upcoming racing season.

Continental Tire will be the exclusive tire provider for Supercars, GRC Lites and Polaris RZR this season. Electric vehicles will be added to the mix starting in 2019.

“Continental Tire is an industry leader in technical tire development,” Red Bull GRC CEO Colin Dyne said in a media release. “Their experience in developing tires that work in both pavement and non-pavement situations, as well as their ability to develop race tires for a wide variety of vehicles, tracks and circumstances make them the ideal partner.

“As the official tire supplier for the Red Bull GRC series, they will bring a new level of excellence and high performance to the events.”

This will be Continental Tire’s first foray into Red Bull GRC competition. The season opener is set for May 19-20 in Louisville, Kentucky.

GRC, Supercar and GRC Lites cars will use one compound while a second compound/tire will be developed for the Polaris RZR side-by-side class.

“We’re thrilled to add Global Rallycross to our motorsports portfolio,” said John DeSalle, president of Continental Tire Motorsports. “We’re looking forward to providing a tire that will give the fans the great racing they expect while also making it fun for the drivers.

“This series is action-packed and we can’t wait to get on track!”

The 2018 GRC season will be composed of 12 events across eight events and will be televised on NBC.