Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Ganassi confirms Tagliani in Franchitti’s car at Fontana

1 Comment

Alex Tagliani will fill Dario Franchitti’s seat in the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series season finale at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif. Tagliani takes over the No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Honda, one of the prime seats in IndyCar.

Tagliani was the likeliest candidate from the outset, and a veteran of four prior starts in Fontana (2000-2002, and 2012). He nearly won last year’s race before an engine failure.

Tagliani has already written on Twitter that he has “mixed feelings” about sharing Franchitti’s seat, and that the opportunity is “surreal,” but make no mistake, this is one of the best opportunities he will have in IndyCar.

Tagliani’s opening three seasons in what was then CART came with the Player’s/Forsythe Racing squad from 2000 to 2002, where his potential was obvious but luck more often than not plagued his victory chances.

Two seasons with Paul Gentilozzi’s Rocketsports team followed, including his first career win at Road America in 2004. Tagliani spent 2005 and 2006 with Derrick Walker’s Team Australia squad, and went back to Gentilozzi’s team for the final Champ Car season in 2007.

In 2008, Tagliani starred in qualifying at Long Beach, back in Walker’s entry for the Champ Car series finale. He deputized at the tail end of the year for Conquest Racing, which led to further part-time opportunities there in 2009.

Starting his own FAZZT team in 2010, Tagliani was often a thorn in the sides of the bigger teams’ drivers. He scored a popular pole for the 2011 Indianapolis 500 but once again was the victim of poor luck when he lost his seat before the end of the year at the renamed Sam Schmidt Motorsports.

Tagliani drove better than ever in 2012 – I would have rated him sixth or seventh in a season-long top 10 after his qualifying prowess – with Bryan Herta and Barracuda Racing. But a mixed bag of luck has occurred again in 2013 and he and Herta went their separate ways after Toronto.

Now, Tagliani is back in IndyCar after a three-race trial run in sports cars with Ferrari, and with his best opportunity in years. Winning would be great, but mainly his goal is to help Scott Dixon secure the championship.

Ecclestone has ‘no doubts’ Monza will remain on F1 calendar

1 Comment

MILAN (AP) Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is confident the Italian Grand Prix in Monza can find the needed cash to stay on the calendar.

Ecclestone tells the Gazzetta dello Sport, “We will find the right solution – I no longer have doubts – to provide a future for the Italian GP.”

No circuit has hosted more F1 racing than Monza, but officials at the track outside Milan have had trouble producing the estimated 25 million euros ($26.6 million) per year that Ecclestone seeks to keep the race in place after the current contract expires next year.

Ecclstone says, “Things have been cleared up and there is only one go between, (Angelo) Sticchi Damiani, the president of the Italian Automobile Club.”

The Italian GP next year is scheduled for Sept. 4.

Alternative engine solution rejected by F1 Commission

Nico Rosberg

Plans to introduce a new alternative, cheaper engine into Formula 1 for 2017 – hypothetically a 2.2-liter V6 similar to what is seen in IndyCar – will at least temporarily go on the backburner.

The F1 Commission has rejected the so called “alternative engine solution,” where several companies submitted proposals to be that alternative supplier.

“The F1 Commission voted not to pursue this option at this stage — however, it may be reassessed after the Power Unit manufacturers have presented their proposal to the Strategy Group,” the FIA said on Wednesday.

“The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to Power Unit supply in Formula One,” the statement added.

Meanwhile the statement outlined four things the current manufacturers – Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda – would be tasked with improving on the current 1.6-liter formula:

Those are:

  • a guarantee of supply to teams
  • the need to reduce the engines’ cost
  • simplification of the specification
  • “improved noise”

Further meetings between the manufacturers and the governing body are scheduled, including one this weekend at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix season finale.

As F1 heads into the final weekend of the season, political/paddock items such as Red Bull and Toro Rosso’s respective power unit futures, whether Renault’s takeover of Lotus will finally become official and what will happen with Manor’s team leadership stake – this marks Graeme Lowdon and John Booth’s final weekends although ex-McLaren man Dave Ryan has been hired as the team’s new racing director – are among the talking points.

Stoffel Vandoorne’s Super Formula test hampered by engine woes

Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne
1 Comment

You couldn’t make this stuff up.

Dominant GP2 Series champion Stoffel Vandoorne had his first go in a Super Formula car at Suzuka on Wednesday, but the engine woes that have hampered his Formula 1 team’s efforts (McLaren) all season appear to be equal opportunity woes.

Vandoorne only completed a limited day of running due to technical issues; naturally, and in an unfortunate coincidence, the Super Formula cars also have Honda power.

The Belgian is now en route from Japan to Abu Dhabi, where this weekend’s final round of the GP2 season will be held alongside the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

FIA Formula E to remain at Battersea Park following vote

1 Comment

Wandsworth Council’s Community Services Overview and Scrutiny Committee voted seven to four late Tuesday night, in favor of retaining the FIA Formula E event in Battersea Park.

This will see the London ePrix – the season finale for the electric open-wheel championship – continue at the site for at least the next two seasons.

The 2016 race will run July 2-3, to avoid a direct head-to-head clash with the British Grand Prix a week later in Silverstone.

Battersea Park’s race faced local opposition in recent weeks, which put the race under threat.