Tributes pour in for ‘inspirational’ de Villota

Leave a comment

The Formula One world has paid its respects to Maria de Villota after the former Marussia test driver passed away this morning at the age of 33.

de Villota was brought up with motorsport in her veins, with her father Emilio competing in fifteen grands prix in the late seventies and early eighties. After initially testing with Lotus in 2011, she joined Marussia in 2012 as a test driver before her accident last July which left her with severe head injuries and resulted in the loss of her right eye. de Villota returned to the paddock back in May for the Spanish Grand Prix, and was a highly popular member of the Formula One family.

FIA President Jean Todt released a statement on Friday in Suzuka saying: “Today is a tragic day for motorsport. My deepest condolences go to the de Villota family. Maria was a fantastic driver, a leading light for women in motorsport and a tireless campaigner for road safety. Above all she was a friend I deeply admired.”

Her former team, Marussia, also sent their condolances to her family and friends. “It is with great sadness that we learned a short time ago of the news that Maria de Villota has passed away,” a statement from the team read. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Maria’s family and friends at this very difficult time.”

McLaren team principal and President of the Formula One Teams’ Association Martin Whitmarsh expressed his high regard for de Villota, calling her an “inspiration.”

“The whole paddock is very shocked by the news that Maria is no longer with us,” Whitmarsh said. “She was an inspiration not just to women in this sport, but also to all those who suffered life-threatening injuries. Her story, determination and subsequent inspiration flowed from F1 through sport as a whole, and to see the images of her in Barcelona on the grid earlier this year, surrounded by a throng of jubilant children (pictured), told a great story.”

Many F1 drivers and personalities took to Twitter to lend their support to the de Villota family.

Formula One: Recapping the past week’s news

Photo: Getty Images
Leave a comment

While the FIA Formula 1 World Championship is still two months away from beginning its 2018 season, this past week did bring about news items that filled out the 2018 grid and shed some light on individual team and car launches as the season-opening Australian Grand Prix draws closer.

Below is a recap of F1 news from this past week:

Williams Signs Sirotkin for 2018 Drive, Names Kubica as Reserve Driver

The saga of the second seat at Williams Martini Racing was finally resolved early on in the week, with former Renault Sport F1 Team test driver Sergey Sirotkin officially confirmed as a teammate to the incumbent Lance Stroll in 2018.

The announcement concluded months of speculation that saw multiple drivers test for the team in an auditioning capacity. Most notably, Robert Kubica looked to be a main contender for the seat before Sirotkin emerged as the favorite.

However, Kubica, who has not raced in Formula 1 since a devastating rally accident in 2011 left him with brutal injuries to his right arm, was named as a reserve and development driver for the team.

This announcement also completes the 2018 Formula 1 driver lineup, with all 11 teams having their seats now filled. Among those who were left without F1 drives are Paul Di Resta, who drove for Williams at the Hungarian Grand Prix in relief of Felipe Massa and even tested with them during the Winter months, and Antonio Giovinazzi, who filled in for Pascal Wehrlein at the Australian and Chinese Grands Prix.

Former Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat is also without a race seat for 2018, but did sign on with Scuderia Ferrari as a development driver.

Mercedes, McLaren Reveal Dates for Their 2018 Car Launches

While most teams have not yet released dates for when their 2018 cars will be publicly launched, three notables have.

Mercedes AMG Petronas will introduce its 2018 challenger on February 22nd, the same day Ferrari is doing so, while McLaren will unveil its car one day later on the 23rd.

Testing will commence on February 26th at Circuit de Catalunya.

Follow@KyleMLavigne