45th Annual Camping World RV Sales 500 - Practice

Chase leader Kenseth not worried about Talladega plan

Leave a comment

Talladega Superspeedway’s unpredictable nature can make even the best-laid plans go awry, and Chase for the Sprint Cup leader Matt Kenseth (pictured, No. 20) isn’t exactly worried about hammering out a strategy and sticking to it through Sunday’s Camping World RV Sales 500.

“I just don’t really know – you never know – what agendas anybody’s going to have when these races start,” Kenseth said on Friday at Talladega. “Sometimes, people just play it by ear – if it feels like everything is fairly calm, they’ll race. Other times, if people are stuck in the middle or maybe not even in the middle – a couple rows back – they’d rather just ride around, wait until the end, so you never know what’s really going to happen.

“I’ve never really had much success making too much of a plan. Seems like you just kind of try to do what comes natural. If it seems like you have the speed and you can lead, be up front, do that. If not, you’re not comfortable, maybe you change your plan then, but every time I’ve really sat down and tried to make a huge plan going into this race, it never really worked out very well for me.”

Things did work out for him in this very race last October, as he notched his first career victory at NASCAR’s biggest track while a 25-car pileup ensued in his rear view mirror. Kenseth has been strong as of late at Talladega, with results of third, first and eighth in his last three runs there.

On Friday, he chalked that good string of results up to “faster cars,” as well as the end of the prevalent tandem-style drafting that had emerged prior to tweaks made to the rules package on restrictor plate tracks like ‘Dega and Daytona International Speedway.

“I felt like last year when they changed the rules package, that little spoiler and kind of separated the pack again and got rid of the tandem and you had to go back to more of a quote-unquote ‘conventional-style’ drafting, I felt like not only did it speed our cars up, but I felt like I was more comfortable and probably made less bad moves than I made before, that type of thing,” he said.

“I think that’s part of it and our cars with that other package seemed to have had some speed.”

Formula E adds Hong Kong race for October 2016

Photo: FIA Formula E
Leave a comment

The FIA Formula E Championship will add Hong Kong to its calendar for its third season, 2016-2017.

The race will take place on October 9, 2016 – exactly one year from now – around the city’s Central district. The 2km circuit will run between Lung Wo Road and the Star Ferry, with cars reaching speeds of up to 225kph (140mph).

The launch event today featured the Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Honourable CY Leung; Mr. Gregory So, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development; Mr. Alejandro Agag, CEO, Formula E Holdings; Mr. Lawrence Yu Kam-Kee, President of the Hong Kong Automobile Association; and reigining FE champion Nelson Piquet Jr.

“The Hong Kong ePrix will be one of the highlights on the FIA Formula E Championship calendar,” Agag said in a release. “As one of the most innovative, cutting-edge and fun-loving cities in the world, Hong Kong and Formula E share many of the same qualities. We look forward to bringing all the fun and entertainment of Formula E to this amazing city, and international motorsport back to Hong Kong.”

The track map is linked below.

Hong Kong track map

Prema Powerteam to race in GP2 next season

MACAU, MACAO - NOVEMBER 16:  Prema Powerteam driver Esteban Ocon of France in action during the Formula 3 event as part of the 60th Macau Grand Prix on November 16, 2013 in Macau, Macau.  (Photo by Victor Fraile/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Prema Powerteam has confirmed that it will enter GP2 for the first time in 2016, taking over the entry of Team Lazarus.

Prema has established itself as one of the most formidable teams in junior motorsport over the past 30 years, winning countless championships – including the last five FIA F3 titles – and helping to launch the careers of Ryan Briscoe, Roberto Merhi and Esteban Ocon (pictured).

In 2016, it will enter GP2 – Formula 1’s feeder series – for the very first time, taking over Lazarus’ entry as its four-year association with the series comes to an end.

“We are delighted to line-up for this exciting new adventure in the GP2 Series,” Prema manager Rene Rosin said. “Prema always followed the evolution of the GP2 concept as an interested spectator, and it is now finally time to join the game in first person.

“The move to the GP2 Series is a logical step for Prema, following the successful experiences in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship and in the Italian and the German Formula 4 Championships, which will continue with the same level of commitment.”

Series CEO Bruno Michel was pleased to welcome Prema to GP2, and believes that it will adapt quickly to life in the championship thanks to its impressive racing record.

“I am very pleased to welcome Prema to the GP2 Series,” Michel said. “Their remarkable track record makes me believe that they should be able to adapt quickly to our category.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank [Lazarus team principal] Tancredi Pagiaro and his team for their hard work and dedication for the past four seasons. I wish them the best for the future.”