Dixon and Castroneves ready for IndyCar title bout at MAVTV 500

Leave a comment

A majority of the pre-event media obligations are done and dusted, and so this Friday at Auto Club Speedway, Scott Dixon and Helio Castroneves can at long last begin the task at hand: wheeling their respective cars as they battle for the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series championship.

You know most of the important details. Dixon’s seeking his third championship per his “rule of fives” (2003, 2008), while Castroneves continues to push for his elusive first in his 16-year IndyCar career dating to 1998.

In 2013, Dixon has four wins and nine top-five finishes; Castroneves has only a solitary win but 15 top-10 finishes in the 18 races. Unfortunately for him, his run of consistency and finishing every lap thus far this season was thwarted two weeks ago in his sponsor’s (Shell and Pennzoil) race in Houston. And that means Dixon enters the MAVTV 500 in Fontana, Calif. (Saturday, 8 p.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra) with a 25-point lead on his title rival.

They actually both enter this race in a position of strength. Dixon is the epitome of a cool, calm and collected customer, who’s been here many times previously and never seems to crack. Even when he was tested in back-to-back weeks of Sonoma and Baltimore a handful of races ago, and was fined as a result of some ill-timed or ill-aimed comments, he never lost his head when it came time to get down to business on the track. A crushing win in Houston Race 1 and a nearly as successful second-place in Race 2 was all he needed to regain the momentum.

Castroneves – from appearances already thus far in Fontana – seems to relish the underdog role. He’s said repeatedly it’s a “nothing to lose” scenario because he can just purely go for the win and see where things fall as it relates to Dixon. The only thing that must happen for the popular Brazilian to have a chance is for the Kiwi to finish outside the top five.

“The way I look at it, we have nothing to lose this weekend,” Castroneves said heading into the weekend. “We have had a great, consistent year and we need to close it out with another strong finish and whatever happens will happen. I know we want to end the season with a win in the Auto Club car at Auto Club Speedway so let’s go try and make that happen.”

Dixon’s successes this year have come in a variety of ways. He’s maximized the points on the three doubleheader weekends, with a full 263 points achieved from the six races to 180 for the next closest driver.

Additionally, he’s made the most of two races where he was otherwise unexpected to post a big result. At the season opener in St. Petersburg, he rallied from 20th place to fifth at the finish. And Pocono, a race he considers his most pivotal victory of 2013, came as a bit of a shock given where the Target Chip Ganassi Racing team had been on pace prior to it.

“St. Pete for us was a big shock because we thought we came in good on the development area and testing had gone OK. But to qualify 20th, and it was a straight-up qualifying effort, it’s not like we got blocked or had a mechanical. We were 20th,” Dixon said Thursday.

“From Saturday to Sunday we reverted to all 2012 stuff on the car, so we had a good base. It was not an easy weekend but a very humbling one. It was the pure reality of not being where we needed to be. Those races are a credit to where we are now.”

And so here we are, standing on the precipice of yet another Ganassi versus Penske title battle, with two of IndyCar’s longest-serving drivers ready to duke it out for 500 miles. It should be fascinating to watch.

FIA returns Manor’s F1 entry fee for 2017

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Good news: Manor Grand Prix Racing Limited got a refund of an entry fee it paid to the FIA to run in this year’s F1 season.

Bad news: Manor still hasn’t run this year, and won’t be for the foreseeable future (especially as Manor’s former leadership staff is moving that team into FIA WEC’s new-look LMP1 class in addition to its LMP2 program).

Manor Group’s receivership outfit, Just Racing Services Limited, went into administration earlier this year. As there was no new buyer for the F1 team, Manor dropped from the 2017 grid before the season.

The FIA said it would return its entry fee to help Manor Group pay off outstanding debts.

It basically means nothing in the grand scheme of things since Manor missed out on 10th place in the constructor’s standings in 2016 and fell from the F1 grid as a result, but hey, it’s a goodwill gesture going into Thanksgiving this week.