Will Power avenges Fontana heartbreak of one year ago, wins IndyCar finale (VIDEO)

2 Comments

One year ago, Auto Club Speedway broke Will Power’s heart. But in tonight’s IndyCar Series season finale at the two-mile oval in Southern California, the Team Penske pilot got his payback.

Power dominated the middle stages of the MAV TV 500 and then rocketed to the front with the laps winding down. He would go on to claim what he called “the most satisfying win of [his] life” by 1.5 seconds over defending race champion Ed Carpenter.

Early in last year’s IndyCar finale at ACS, Power lost control of his No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet and slammed into the wall, opening the door for Ryan Hunter-Reay to overtake him for the series championship by the end of the 500-mile race.

But on this night, Power got to experience the jubilation he had hoped to enjoy last fall in Fontana.

“That is the most satisfying thing I have ever done, and I wanted to do it so badly all year,” Power told NBCSN’s Jon Beekhuis in Victory Lane. “In the early [oval races] I was kind of conservative and wanted to finish every lap. But this time, I was going for it.”

Along the way, Power also had to deal with getting a new visor on his helmet in the middle of a caution period. But Power believed that he had the car to make the ground back up.

“I knew we had a very quick car, and I didn’t care – I just said, ‘Let’s fix this. We can win this,'” said Power. “This is just the most satisfying thing. I’m so stoked for [sponsor] Verizon and it’s a great way to end the season.”

With 20 laps left, Sebastien Bourdais hit the wall going down the backstretch to bring out a caution period. One lap later, Power decided to go to the pits for service in preparation of the last dash to the finish.

Charlie Kimball and J.R. Hildebrand were both ahead of Power when the green came back out with 14 laps remaining, but Power quickly dusted both Hondas to take the lead once again.

Shortly afterwards, the yellow re-emerged as Kimball’s motor let go and Hildebrand came to a stop with an apparent mechanical failure. When the race went back to green with eight laps left, Power pulled away and left Carpenter and Tony Kanaan to duke it out for the runner-up spot, a battle Carpenter would eventually take.

Power finished the 2013 IndyCar season on a high note, notching three victories in the final five races (Sonoma, Race 2 at Houston, and tonight’s triumph in Fontana).

As for Carpenter, he once again showed why he’s perhaps the top oval pilot in the IndyCar paddock, putting up a steady runner-up that marks his best result and third Top-5 of the year. He has now finished either first or second in the last three-season ending races.

Meanwhile, as Power was putting the finishing touches on a victory he’ll clearly cherish for some time to come, Scott Dixon was locking up his third career IndyCar Series championship with a fifth-place finish. Dixon finished just one spot ahead of his title rival, Helio Castroneves, but the Brazilian fell one lap down toward the end of the race; Dixon wound up earning the title by a 27-point margin.

Button calls for F1 to ‘move on’, hand Vettel no further punishment

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Recent Formula 1 driver Jenson Button believes the sport should “move on” from Sebastian Vettel’s clash with Lewis Hamilton in Baku and hand the Ferrari driver no further punishment for his sideway swipe.

Vettel drove towards Hamilton under the safety car in Sunday’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix, resulting in a 10-second stop/go penalty during the race for dangerous driving, the harshest available penalty bar exclusion.

The FIA confirmed on Wednesday that it would be re-examining the incident to see if any further action is warranted, with Hamilton telling NBCSN after the race in Baku that it would set a dangerous precedent if more was not done to punish Vettel.

Taking to Twitter on Thursday, Button – who spent 17 seasons racing full-time in F1 and most recently made a one-off return in Monaco with McLaren – offered his view of the situation, saying that the sport’s bosses should move on and not give Vettel any further punishment.

Recap: Green Bay Packers QB Brett Hundley takes in Kohler Grand Prix

Photo: IndyCar
Leave a comment

When professional athletes decide to experience sports outside of the one where they make their living, it never ceases to entertain. Case and point: Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Hundley.

The 24-year-old Hundley spent the weekend at Road America, taking in the Kohler Grand Prix. His time at the facility began on Thursday, where he first paid a visit to Team Penske driver Will Power, who gave him a quick tutorial.

Will Power shows Brett Hundley a steering for a Verizon IndyCar Series machine. Photo: IndyCar

The next part of Hundley’s day saw him take a two-seater ride with none other than Mario Andretti. And, unsurprisingly, it left a big impression.

Mari Andretti takes Brett Hundley around Road America in the Verizon IndyCar Series two-seater. Photo: IndyCar

“The first lap, I’m screaming, and it’s the warm-up lap! And then the second lap: I’m just bright-eyed, going through corners. I give so much respect, that’s an awesome sport, man!” Hundley said in a media debrief afterward.

However, the day was not finished. Later on, Hundley showed off his arm strength and throwing accuracy by attempting to throw a football through the passenger side window of a moving Chevrolet Corvette. And while it took a few attempts, he eventually hit his mark.

Hundley stayed through Sunday and dawned a photographer’s bib in order to take in more of the action.

In fact, he even inadvertently photobombed second-place finisher Josef Newgarden during his post-race interview.

A video chronicling Hundley’s visit can be viewed here and additional photos from his weekend can be found on his Instagram page.

 

Follow Kyle Lavigne.

Merhi confirmed for WEC return with Manor at the Nürburgring

Getty Images
Leave a comment

CEFC Manor TRS Racing has confirmed that Roberto Merhi will return to the FIA World Endurance Championship for next month’s 6 Hours of Nürburgring, replacing Jean-Eric Vergne.

Merhi previously raced for Manor in both Formula 1 and the WEC, making his most recent appearance with the British marque at last November’s 6 Hours of Bahrain.

Merhi’s last racing outing came in the Formula 2 double-header in Spain and has flirted with a move into Formula E, but was confirmed on Wednesday to be making his racing return at the Nürburgring on July 16.

Merhi will deputize for Vergne in the No. 24 Oreca 07 Gibson while the Frenchman is in New York for the city’s inaugural Formula E event.

FIA to re-examine Vettel/Hamilton Baku F1 clash

2 Comments

The FIA has confirmed that it will re-examine the clash between Formula 1 title rivals Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton in Sunday’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix to see if further action is warranted.

Vettel and Hamilton made contact twice behind the safety car in Baku, with the second incident deemed to be an act of dangerous driving on Vettel’s part.

The FIA stewards in Baku handed Vettel a 10-second stop/go penalty for the clash – the harshest available penalty besides disqualification – but faced calls to issue a stricter punishment post race.

Hamilton said that the incident set a dangerous precedent for F1 and wider motorsport, but Vettel believed his rival deserved a penalty for allegedly brake testing him.

On Wednesday, the FIA confirmed that it would be re-examining the incident in a meeting on July 3, with a verdict set to be delivered ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix.

“Following the recent incident at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in which Car 5 (Sebastian Vettel) was involved in a collision with Car 44 (Lewis Hamilton), on Monday 3rd July, the FIA will further examine the causes on the incident in order to evaluate whether further action is necessary,” a short statement from the FIA read.

“A statement regarding the outcome of this process will be made available before the upcoming Austrian Grand Prix (7-9 July).”