Graham Rahal

Veteran engineer Pappas to join forces with Graham Rahal at RLL (UPDATED)

Leave a comment

One of the most experienced and successful engineers in the IndyCar Series paddock will have a new home in 2014.

Bill Pappas, who has worked with some of the top teams in the sport in his 25+-year career, is heading for Rahal Letterman Lanigan to work as the race engineer for Graham Rahal and his No. 15 Honda. Neil Fife had been serving in that capacity since late July following RLL’s re-assignment of Gerry Hughes as its head of development.

“I’m very pleased that Bill is joining us,” said team co-owner Bobby Rahal in a statement. “His track record and expe­ri­ence is really second to none and I feel that he can provide a big benefit to the team and Graham.”

“I’m very honored to be offered an oppor­tu­nity to be a part of Rahal Letterman Lanigan, working for Bobby and helping Graham reach his poten­tial,” Pappas said in his own thoughts.

Pappas most recently served as the race engineer for Justin Wilson at Dale Coyne Racing over the last two seasons. That partnership yielded a surprising victory in 2012 at Texas Motor Speedway and a sixth-place finish in the 2013 championship on the strength of four podiums and 13 Top-10s.

This afternoon on Twitter, Wilson said he was “sad” to lose Pappas as his engineer but that he understood his decision:

Now, Pappas will look to raise the fortunes of Graham Rahal and the No. 15 camp, which never found a regular competitive rhythm this past year as they earned just one podium finish (Long Beach) in 19 races.

“I’m excited that Bill is joining the team,” said Graham. “He brings not only a wealth of expe­ri­ence and [Indianapolis] 500 wins as well as others, he can really help take our team and engi­neering staff to the next level.

“I’ve known Bill a long time. We have had oppor­tu­ni­ties to work together before but it just didn’t fall into place until now.”

Pappas served as engineer for Juan Pablo Montoya when he won the 2000 Indy 500, and has collaborated over his career with a veritable Who’s Who of North American open-wheel drivers such as Emerson Fittipaldi, Al Unser Sr., Jimmy Vasser and Gil de Ferran among others.

Sainz airlifted to hospital following practice crash

xxxx during final practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on October 10, 2015 in Sochi, Russia.
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Carlos Sainz Jr. has been airlifted to hospital after a big crash during the final free practice session for the Russian Grand Prix on Saturday morning.

Under braking at turn 13, Sainz lost the backend of his Toro Rosso car, causing him to hit the left-hand wall before slamming into the TecPro barrier at the end of the run-off area.

The session was immediately red flagged as medical crews tended to Sainz, taking 20 minutes to extricate him from the Toro Rosso car due to how it had pitched under the barrier.

FIA media delegate Matteo Bonciani told reporters: “The driver is conscious and is still in the process of being extricated. When we know something, we will let you know.”

After being extricated from the car, Sainz was taken away on a stretcher before being placed in an ambulance, giving a thumbs up to let fans know that he was okay. He is also reported to have been talking to doctors in the medical centre after the crash.

Sainz has now been airlifted to hospital for further checks, and is set to miss qualifying later today, with Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost telling BBC Sport: “To sit him in the car immediately seems a bit risky, but we will wait and see.”

The damage caused to the TecPro barrier has also caused the planned GP3 race to be cancelled, giving the track workers time to carry out repairs ahead of the F1 qualifying session later today.

Qualifying for the Russian Grand Prix is live on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET on Saturday.

Rosberg tops shortened FP3 in Russia after Sainz crash

SOCHI, RUSSIA - OCTOBER 09:  Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP drives during practice for the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on October 9, 2015 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Lars Baron/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Nico Rosberg set the pace in final practice for the Russian Grand Prix on Saturday morning as the session was called early following a heavy crash for Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz Jr.

With 25 minutes remaining, the session was stopped when Sainz slammed into the wall at turn 13, pitching in under the TecPro barrier at the fastest point of the circuit.

A loss of power on the car meant that Toro Rosso could not make contact with its driver, causing concern as the medical crew was sent to the crash site to tend to Sainz.

Replays showed that Spaniard lost the back-end of his car under braking coming into turn 13, causing him to hit the wall on the left-hand side of the track before travelling down the track and into the wall at the end of the high-speed straight.

After being extricated from the car, Sainz was shown on TV cameras to be moving around on a stretcher, giving a thumbs up before being placed into an ambulance.

“The driver is conscious and is still in the process of being extricated,” FIA media chief Matteo Bonciani told reporters. “When we know something, we will let you know.”

Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost added: “As far as I am informed, he is conscious. He is now with the doctor. I think that he is so far okay.”

With qualifying for the Russian Grand Prix due to start in just two hours’ time, it is unlikely that Sainz will be able to take part in the session, with Tost believing it to be “too risky”.

The amount of damage caused to the barrier could also result in delays across the course of Saturday’s running, with GP3 scheduled to race before the F1 qualifying session. The early sunset in Sochi could also cause problems towards the end of the day.