Ganassi weighing whether veteran or up-and-comer should join team (VIDEO)

5 Comments

UPDATE, 2:00 p.m. ET: NBCSN IndyCar reporter Marty Snider called into NBCSN’s “SportsDash” on Friday to discuss Franchitti’s injuries and his retirement.

ORIGINAL, 12:30 p.m. ET: Chip Ganassi took time from his hectic schedule at the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series finale to discuss the Dario Franchitti forced retirement news and outline preliminary plans for the No. 10 Target Chevrolet in IndyCar.

Regarding the No. 10, Ganassi wouldn’t be pressed on too many details, only saying that new signing Tony Kanaan – who is slated for the No. 8 NTT Data/TNT Energy Drink Chevrolet – is “not out of the question” for the No. 10. Ganassi did confirm a four-car team will continue for 2014 as planned.

But the big question now is when it comes to filling the No. 10, one of the three or four plum rides in IndyCar, is whether Ganassi opts to go with a proven veteran or a young up-and-comer.

You have guys like Justin Wilson, for example, eternally overlooked by the two or three “big teams” despite obvious talent. Then you have the veterans who have been around for a while but not ever had this chance – an Alex Tagliani or an Oriol Servia perhaps.

But with the same five or six drivers in the top rides for the last half decade at least, seeing a youngster like a Josef Newgarden, a Conor Daly, a Sage Karam or someone else of that ilk, fill the void could be an intriguing opportunity and a necessary spice to the field.

“That’s a good question,” Ganassi admitted during the media teleconference. “That’s one of the first decisions we have to make.

“We’ve always taken the best driver available at the time. That rule, we learned from a great mentor to our guys, Morris Nunn, who used to say that. Morris always said, ‘You need to take the best driver available and don’t think of anything else.’ That’ll be our first procedure to go through.

“Do you go with a proven talent or young, up-and-comer? That’s the question we’re dealing with now. Whoever fills that seat has big shoes to fill and they have to be a huge teammate to help Dixon, Kimball and Kanaan. We’ve been thinking more about Dario this week than who is going to be in the 10. We will figure that out in the next few weeks.”

Ganassi said it made “no difference” whether a driver announcement was done this week or next week, and he hopes to have something announced within several weeks.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”