Hornish falls short in quest for Nationwide crown


Three-time IndyCar Series champion and former Indianapolis 500 winner Sam Hornish Jr. will have to wait another year before he can attain some more hardware. But after losing the NASCAR Nationwide Series title to Austin Dillon tonight by a scant three points, the next focus for Hornish is just attaining a ride for the 2014 season.

The future is uncertain for the pride of Defiance, Ohio, who entered the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway down eight points but led the championship for much of the Ford Ecoboost 300 before Dillon claimed just enough positions late to swing the title back to him.

The final caution of the night had a critical impact on Hornish. With 17 laps to go, the yellow came out with Regan Smith, Mike Wallace and Jeremy Clements among those involved in a multi-car crash. But the clean-up took longer than anticipated, and by the time the green resumed, there were only five laps remaining.

In the final dash to the finish, both Hornish and Dillon dropped multiple positions but it was Dillon that wound up with the championship. Had the two tied in points at the end of 200 laps, Hornish would have had the tie-breaker thanks to his sole win this season at Las Vegas.

“We missed it having that late-race caution…On the last restart, the 54 [Kyle Busch] spun his tires a little bit and we didn’t have anywhere to go,” Hornish told ESPN. “We couldn’t get far enough ahead of those guys that were taking four tires. That’s how it worked out for us tonight.”

“We gave away points at different times throughout the season between the driver making mistakes and everybody on this team had a part in making us better a lot of days. We all had a hand in not being the best that we possibly could’ve been everyday. But we win as a team and lose as a team…We just needed a little bit more.”

Now comes the hard part. Hornish had a strong season driving the No. 12 Penske Racing Ford in the NNS, earning 16 Top-5s and 25 Top-10s. But he believes that he’s ready for a return to the Sprint Cup series and unfortunately for him, there is no funding in place at Penske to fuel the move up.

It’s a bizarre situation. Hornish has begun to regularly contend for wins in the stock cars after a rocky transition from IndyCar. And he’s ever determined to cement his place in NASCAR, going so far as to say he had no interest in replacing Dario Franchitti at Target Chip Ganassi Racing in IndyCar after, according to him, TCGR reached out to his representatives this week.

One hopes that something comes through for Hornish in the NASCAR ranks, whether it’s a full-time program or even a plum part-time ride. In the meantime, his fans will have to cross their fingers.

NHRA Gatornationals: John Force has another spectacular motor explosion

Photo courtesy NHRA
Leave a comment

Legendary NHRA Funny Car driver John Force endured yet another spectacular motor explosion – his third in the NHRA’s first three national event races – during Friday’s qualifying at the Amalie Motor Oil Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida.

It’s the kind of consistency the 16-time NHRA Funny Car champ could do without.

The 68-year-old Force came to Gainesville hoping to break the jinx that saw him endure explosions in both the season-opening Winternationals and the second race of the season in Phoenix.

Both motor explosions sent Force to the hospital for examination before he returned to the race track.

Friday, even though the motor in his Chevrolet Camaro blew up again (in the second round of qualifying), at least this time, Force didn’t wind up in the hospital.

He did have his right hand bandaged from a cut suffered in the explosion, but did not have to go to the hospital this time.

He even joked about not having to add yet another ambulance bill to the nearest Gainesville hospital.

But the explosion still proved costly.

“That was another body and that hurts the financial (bottomline),” Force said. “I was out $500,000 to $600,000, and now we are probably out $800,000, going on a million. In drag racing, you have to be tough.”

He ended the day qualifying 14th, not a very comfortable position with two more rounds of qualifying set for Saturday.

Force continues to be mystified why the motors keep exploding.

“I really thought we had it, I thought we were there,” Force said. “In the first round we drove it 500 feet and shut it off. It looked great. We ran it again that run and I was only going to drive it 800 feet even if we didn’t make The Show.”

Force will attempt to improve his qualifying spot during Saturday’s final two rounds to make Sunday’s eliminations.

Follow @JerryBonkowski