The $5 million reconfiguration project at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course was completed on Tuesday, revealed by IMS president Doug Boles and IndyCar team co-owner Sarah Fisher of Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing. The end of the 63-day project mirrored the time it took to build the historic track initially, in 1909.
Of course, times are different now and what once was hallowed ground for IndyCars only on the oval is now a site of multiple races a year – including the inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis on the IMS road course next May 10.
The project recap:
- Track width of 46 feet throughout, and 50 on the front straight.
- Front straight length of 2,869 feet (0.543 of a mile), back straight now 2,503 (0.474).
- 63 days to complete project from Sept. 18 through Nov. 19.
- 70 construction crew, combining for approximately 35,000 man hours over 708 total day hours
- 40 pieces of heavy equipment
- 20,000 tons of asphalt from 1,000 dump truck loads
- 16.2 acres paved
- Project crew includes: Milestone Contractors LP; Indy Earthworks, Inc; IMS Engineering; Heritage Research Group; Fastrac Solutions, Inc.
EDITOR’S NOTE: NBCSN will air additional Dakar Rally highlights on Monday at 7 p.m. ET.
As it has done so for four decades, the 40th annual Dakar Rally – the most grueling test of man and machine anywhere – produced a number of surprise finishes and also several disappointments for drivers or riders who were expected to do well in the nearly 5,600-mile trek that began in Peru and continued through Bolivia and ending in Argentina.
NBCSN has aired highlights from all 14 stages (actually 13, because one stage was completely rained out) during the Rally’s two-week run, which concluded Saturday.
Here’s some of the “best of” highlights from the overall Rally highlights, followed by a quick guide that gives you wrapups to all 14 stages.
So, without further adieu, here’s NBCSN’s “best of” the 2018 Dakar Rally:
2018 Dakar Rally: Best of cars
2018 Dakar Rally: Best of bikes
2018 Dakar Rally: Best of trucks
2018 Dakar Rally: Best of quads
Lastly, here’s a day-by-day wrapup of how the Rally played out.
MORE: Dakar Rally daily stages schedule, NBCSN broadcast schedule, list of all competitors.
MORE: Stage 14 overall Rally wrapup
MORE: Stage 13 wrapup
MORE: Stage 12 wrapup
MORE: Stage 11 wrapup
MORE: Stage 10 wrapup
MORE: Stage 9 cancelled due to weather, impassible course conditions
MORE: Stage 8 wrapup
MORE: Stage 7 wrapup
MORE: Stage 6 wrapup
MORE: Stage 5 wrapup
MORE: Stage 4 wrapup
MORE: Stage 3 wrapup
MORE: Stage 2 wrapup
MORE: Stage 1 wrapup