With big year coming, Stewart-Haas Racing reorganizes

1 Comment

As Stewart-Haas Racing prepares to expand to a four-car lineup for next year’s Sprint Cup campaign, the team has announced a series of organizational changes to its competition department – chief among them being the hiring of former Michael Waltrip Racing crew chief Chad Johnston to fill the same role for its recuperating driver/co-owner, Tony Stewart.

Johnston completed his tenure at MWR in Sunday’s season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Like his driver, Martin Truex Jr., he too was told by MWR that he was free to look for new employment after the team announced it would drop to two full-time cars in 2014 following the loss of sponsor NAPA; Truex is moving on to Furniture Row Racing to drive its No. 78 car.

Stewart and Johnston worked together briefly back in 2004-2005 at Morgan-Dollar Motorsports in the Camping World Truck Series. At that time, Stewart raced a handful of CWTS events for the team, with Johnston serving as race engineer.

Additionally, Daniel Knost will make his debut as a crew chief next season for Kurt Busch’s No. 41 squad after serving as race engineer for the No. 39 of now-departed Ryan Newman. Before going to the No. 39, Knost – who has been with SHR since 2008 – was race engineer for Danica Patrick in an eight-race stretch during the 2012 season.

Other major notes from SHR’s reorganization:

  • Rodney Childers, who joined SHR last month, will be crew chief for the No. 4 of Kevin Harvick. He most recently was crew chief for the No. 55 MWR team of Brian Vickers, Mark Martin and Michael Waltrip.
  • Tony Gibson will remain crew chief for Patrick on the No. 10 car.
  • Greg Zipadelli has been promoted to the role of vice president of competition, where he’ll manage all four Cup squads.
  • Matt Borland has been named vice president of engineering and will oversee the team’s technical side, as well as various research and development projects. A team release also notes that he’ll shift from being an active crew chief “to that of a mentor, specifically in regard to the crew chief position on the No. 41 Haas Automation team of driver Kurt Busch” – namely, Knost.

In a statement, Stewart said that with the changes, the team is set to transform seamlessly into a bigger operation.

“Obviously, there is a lot of change happening for 2014 as we grow to four teams and bring in Kevin Harvick and Kurt Busch,” he said. “But with our new management structure and the crew chiefs we have in place, we’re well positioned to handle whatever challenges come our way.

“Collectively, we have the experience and wherewithal necessary for each of our teams to perform at the highest level possible.”

Hamilton: Abu Dhabi ‘the last race with good-looking cars’ in F1

Getty Images
1 Comment

Lewis Hamilton believes that this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be remembered as the last race with good-looking Formula 1 cars ahead of the introduction of the ‘Halo’ cockpit protection for next year.

Officials from the FIA and F1 Strategy Group confirmed earlier this year that the Halo would be fitted to all cars from the 2018 season in a bid to improve safety standards, with the deaths of Justin Wilson and Jules Bianchi putting head protection high on the agenda for the series’ chiefs.

Hamilton has long made his opposition to the Halo clear, believing it will ruin the look of F1 cars, and echoed his thoughts ahead of the final Halo-less race in Abu Dhabi this weekend.

“It’s the last year of looking good I think in the cars. It’s the last race where the cars will look good,” Hamilton said.

“I think next year, it’s all downhill from there in terms of how they look.

“But safety will go up at least, and maybe it could be successful in some way.”

Hamilton’s F1 title rival Sebastian Vettel was less bothered about the change, believing the field will adjust and move on.

“The cars will look different next year. Everything I’ve seen so far looks different, but on the other hand it is something we all get used to,” Vettel said.

“But no doubt the cars look better now, but we’ll get used to it, and we’ll work on the aesthetics so it can be better. It is less of a big deal.”

Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo shared Vettel’s view, saying: “I don’t think it’s gonna be as dramatic as most people make it out to be.”