FIA considering pole trophy and permanent numbers

6 Comments

The FIA is considering a couple of changes to the sporting regulations in Formula One for next season, notably a trophy for pole position and drivers having permanent numbers.

According to Autosport, both ideas were raised during the sport’s strategy group meeting that is made up of Ferrari, Red Bull, Williams, Lotus, McLaren and Mercedes, with the decision for a ‘pole trophy’ being borne out of a proposal to give the pole-sitter a point as found in many other racing categories.

The idea of a point for pole has been banded about in Formula One for many years as a way of placing extra importance on qualifying and encouraging drivers to push for first place on the grid. Although the changes made to the points system in 2010 addressed this issue in the races, it has been felt that potentially having championships decided on a Saturday before a race could be damaging for the sport’s reputation. Under this system, Lewis Hamilton would have won the 2007 world championship whilst Mika Hakkinen would have enjoyed a more comfortable gap to Eddie Irvine in 1999.

Instead, it has been proposed that the driver who attains the most pole positions across the course of a season is awarded a trophy at the end of year FIA prizegiving. This will spark extra interest among the fans as the battle to win this trophy could outlast that of the main championships.

However, don’t go thinking this will stop Sebastian Vettel from winning everything. He would have won the award in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013, with Lewis Hamilton claiming the most poles last year.

Further to that, the FIA is considering the introduction of permanent numbers in Formula One next season. Currently, the world champion receives the number one car with his teammate number two. Following that, teams are allocated numbers depending on their position in the constructors’ championship. In 2014, Vettel will be number one, new teammate Daniel Ricciardo is number two, Mercedes follow suit with three and four, then Ferrari and so on.

This system was introduced in 1996, but the FIA is now considering a completely new system whereby drivers have a number for their career and keep that number, regardless of the team that they drive for or their position in the championship. The only time that they would change number is if they won the drivers’ champioship when they would receive the number one car.

Such a system is used in many other top level motorsports including Moto GP, where drivers such as Valentino Rossi (46) and Marc Marquez (93) use their numbers are part of their marketing efforts. It is thought that a similar system would work in Formula One, and this number would be carried by the driver throughout their racing career. However, teams have said that the regulations would need to be changed in the event of no times being set in qualifying, where currently the results are decided on car number order.

The World Motor Sport Council is set to meet in two weeks’ time where it is thought these ideas will be debated as well as the release of the final draft of the 2014 F1 calendar.

Montoya: ‘Hopefully I get a chance to do Indy again’ (VIDEO)

Leave a comment

Juan Pablo Montoya is on site at this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, his latest trip in a summer and fall filled with a lot of international travel and a number of different race cars he’s been in.

Montoya is committed to a full season in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship with Acura Team Penske in 2018, as he’ll share one of the team’s Acura ARX-05s with Dane Cameron.

However, the question of whether he’ll be able to race in the 102nd Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil remains.

Team Penske has said it plans to only run four cars next month of May, with Helio Castroneves as the fourth driver alongside the three full-time cars driven by Josef Newgarden, Simon Pagenaud and Will Power.

While Montoya has said elsewhere that he’s shopping offers and has talked with other teams, it’d be highly surprising to see the two-time Indianapolis 500 champion who developed the Chevrolet engine for IndyCar’s 2018 Dallara universal body kit in a Honda-powered IndyCar, although he is running Honda’s brand (Acura) in sports cars.

Montoya elaborated on his Indy 500 prospects in an interview with NBCSN pit reporter and insider Will Buxton at the Circuit of The Americas.

“Not full-time no,” Montoya told NBCSN of his IndyCar 2018 prospects. “Hopefully I get a chance to go to Indy, hopefully with Penske, (and) if not someone else. We’ll see.”

Photo: IndyCar

Montoya has extolled the early testing both on the 2018 IndyCar and on the Acura ARX-05.

The first Acura chassis has run at Road Atlanta and Sebring International Raceway thus far, and will be put through its paces at other venues over the next few months.

“It’s been good. We did a lot of work with INDYCAR on that car. Fans are gonna like it,” Montoya said of the 2018 kit.

“Going to IMSA with the Acura program, we’ve done a lot of testing. It’s a beauty to drive. It drives better than what it looks! I haven’t had that much fun driving a race car in a long time.”

Acura ARX-05 Daytona Prototype international (DPi) race car to be campaigned by Team Penske in 2018