Shortly after the FIA released its finalized 2014 Formula One schedule minus the Grand Prix of America in New Jersey, race organizers got out a statement saying that the group is working on “restructured financial arrangements” to ensure that the event will go off in 2015.
Today marks the second year in a row that the GP of America has been left off the final F1 schedule, which will no doubt lead to a heightened sense of skepticism over whether it will ever be a full-fledged Grand Prix. The event had been listed for June 1, 2014 on a provisional schedule.
In the statement, GP of America executive chairman and promoter Leo Hindery Jr. maintained that “our entire management team and our supporters in New Jersey, New York and throughout the Formula One community obviously want to see the inaugural Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial take place as soon as possible.”
“Bringing a world-class race to the world’s largest media market is a huge undertaking that has required balancing construction of our road course, without tapping any public money, with the sport’s own timing demands,” said Hindery, who also thanked FOM, New Jersey governor Chris Christie and other local officials and property owners “for their patience.”
Also commenting in the statement was F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone. His desire for a race in the New York metro area remains unabated despite today’s events.
“There is great demand for a race in New Jersey and I have no doubt we’ll be racing at Port Imperial in 2015,” Ecclestone said. “New races can take many years to get started, but there is significant momentum and we are close to realizing a New York City F1 race.”