Jimmie Johnson

Johnson humble, thankful in NASCAR Banquet speech

1 Comment

Jimmie Johnson accepted his sixth NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship at the season-ending Awards Ceremony with humility, class and thanks for his predecessors and the people around him that push him to be better.

In opening, Johnson tried to draw off his peers with at least that many titles, the pair of legendary seven-time champions Richard Petty and the late Dale Earnhardt. Unfortunately for Johnson, Petty’s wasn’t televised, and Earnhardt’s “didn’t have much there,” because “he was as nervous as the rest of us on this stage.”

From there, the usual expressions of thanks to the Hendrick Motorsports organization, crew led by crew chief Chad Knaus, all sponsors and partners and to Chevrolet were part of his seven-minute long address.

“These people have all molded me into the person and driver I am today,” Johnson admitted. “That includes all the drivers that I’ve worn out asking questions. Teammates, family and friends.”

But where Johnson’s emotion shone through came toward the end of the speech, in thanks to his wife Chandra and family for their support during the season. Prior to the Richmond regular season finale, Johnson’s second daughter Lydia was born, joining older daughter Genevieve.

“This year was clearly a huge year on track, but personally it was so much more,” he said. “Genevieve is now 3 and a half, and Lydia was born a week before the Chase started. Being a parent is the best thing.

“We had a lot going on the last 10 weeks. The glue that kept it all together is my wife Channy. I couldn’t have done without you, but don’t get teary eyed and make me get teary eyed please!”

Johnson closed with a quote from the late Nelson Mandela, who passed away earlier this week at the age of 95.

“It’s from the late Nelson Mandela in 2006: Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. The power to unite people in a way little else does,” he said.

Johnson’s a powerful force on track, but he also carries the humility and class you want from a champion.  A fitting touch to the end of the year, really.

You can see Johnson’s speech and the rest of the top 10 from last night’s banquet in this link from NASCAR.com.

Rosberg takes sixth straight pole position in Abu Dhabi

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 28:  Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP drives during final practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 28, 2015 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Nico Rosberg will start the final race of the 2015 Formula 1 season from pole position after setting the pace during Saturday’s qualifying session in Abu Dhabi.

Rosberg posted a fastest lap time of 1:40.237 under the lights in Q3 to secure pole by three-tenths of a second, edging out Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton in the dying moments of qualifying.

After trailing Rosberg in FP2 and FP3, Hamilton bounced back in the first two stages of qualifying by beating the German driver, but was unable to carry this form over into the final shoot-out for pole.

Hamilton managed to wrestle provisional pole back by going one-tenth of a second quicker than Rosberg with his final Q3 lap, only for his teammate to respond and take pole by three-tenths.

The result marked Rosberg’s sixth consecutive pole position and sets him up perfectly for Sunday’s race at the Yas Marina Circuit.

Kimi Raikkonen finished as the best-of-the-rest for Ferrari, edging out Force India’s Sergio Perez for third place on the grid with an impressive last lap. Perez will start from P4 on Sunday ahead of Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.

Valtteri Bottas led Williams’ charge in sixth place ahead of teammate Felipe Massa in eighth, as they were split by Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg. Daniil Kvyat and Carlos Sainz Jr. rounded out the top ten in Abu Dhabi.

Max Verstappen was unfortunate to miss out on a place in Q3 after being edged out by Sainz in the sister Toro Rosso by just four-hundredths of a second, leaving him 11th ahead of McLaren’s Jenson Button. Pastor Maldonado finished 13th for Lotus ahead of Felipe Nasr as both struggled for pace to get close to a Q3 berth.

Romain Grosjean will start his last race for Lotus from 15th on the grid after a gearbox problem cut his qualifying short. The team told Grosjean to abort his first flying lap because of the issue, and a vain effort to get him out late on ended with the Frenchman parking up at the side of the track.

The biggest shock in qualifying came in Sebastian Vettel’s exit after the German driver backed off on his final lap, mistakenly believing that he had already done enough to make it through to Q2. A quick last effort from Grosjean dumped the German out in Q1, leaving him 16th on the grid for the start of Sunday’s race.

Vettel was joined in the dropzone by McLaren’s Fernando Alonso after his final run in qualifying was ended by a puncture on his rear-left tire. The Spaniard finished 17th ahead of Sauber’s Marcus Ericsson, who also had an issue on his car, while Will Stevens and Roberto Merhi propped up the timesheets for Manor.

The result gives Rosberg a golden opportunity to round off a difficult 2015 season with a third straight win, and also means he will start 2016 with Ayrton Senna’s record of eight pole positions in a row within reach.

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is live on NBCSN from 7am ET on Sunday.

Mercedes pushes for technical regulation clarification from FIA stewards

xxxx during practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 27, 2015 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Mercedes has requested clarification of a number of technical rules from the FIA stewards in Abu Dhabi after flagging up possible ambiguities in the current regulations.

In a letter written by Mercedes technical chief Paddy Lowe to FIA race director Charlie Whiting last month, clarification is sought over restrictions on aerodynamic testing and wind tunnel usage in Formula 1.

Whiting responded to Lowe by saying: “I am unable to respond to your questionnaire, the questions of which do not fall within my remit but that of the competent bodies for binding interpretations (stewards)” and also refused the request for confidentiality.

Mercedes has therefore taken the matter to the stewards in Abu Dhabi, with a meeting planned after qualifying on Saturday. The stewards said that they will endeavor to deliver a decision ahead of Sunday’s race.

It is thought that Mercedes’ request for clarification relates to Ferrari’s relationship with the new Haas F1 Team that may have allowed the Italian marque to exploit existing loopholes in the regulations to aid the development of its own car.

Part of the document released by the FIA reads: “Mercedes considers there to be a number of existing ambiguities in Appendices 6 and 8 to the Regulations. It is possible that such ambiguity may be exploited by a team to give it a competitive advantage at any event, including at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2015, prior to the points being clarified by the stewards.”

It continues: “Resolution of the ambiguities is of the utmost importance to Mercedes as it is currently considering the possibility of collaborating with third parties on its testing programme, including the sharing of staff and knowledge, which it believes could be permitted under the current Regulations as drafted.

“It is understood by Mercedes that other Formula 1 teams may also be considering operating in a similar manner.”

The stewards will be able to offer a binding interpretation of the regulations to all teams racing in F1, and have invited all competitors to make their own submissions should they so wish.

You can read the FIA document in full here.

Mercedes takes up option on Ocon for 2016

2015 GP3 Series Round 9
Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Friday 27 November 2015.
Esteban Ocon (FRA, ART Grand Prix) 
Photo: Sam Bloxham/GP3 Series Media Service.
ref: Digital Image _G7C7600
© GP3 Series
Leave a comment

Mercedes has taken up its option on GP3 driver Esteban Ocon ahead of the 2016 season to make him a full member of its junior programme.

Ocon, 19, won last year’s FIA F3 European Championship ahead of current Toro Rosso driver and Formula 1’s unofficial rookie of the year Max Verstappen.

Having previously been on Lotus’ junior programme, Ocon was expected to move into GP2 for 2015, but his deal with the team fell through and prompted him to race for ART Grand Prix in GP3.

Mercedes announced back in May that it would be supporting Ocon for this season, with an option to make him a fully-fledged member of its junior programme at the end of the year.

In Friday’s FIA press conference, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff confirmed that this option had been taken up, but that plans for Ocon and its other junior talent, Pascal Wehrlein, in 2016 are still to be finalized.

“We’ve taken up the option on him because he has been with us now, or has been following the DTM team for a while, has been the test driver in DTM and integrated well and he’s doing a very good job in GP3 as well and he’s somebody we’d very much like to have in the family,” Wolff said.

“This is why we’ve exercised the option. It doesn’t mean that we’ve found a solution for Pascal.

“The current driver market is a bit difficult because most of the teams have already announced their drivers and it need to be the right deal – but having taken up Esteban we are conscious that we need to find a suitable programme for both of them.

“It could well mean that it could eventually end up for both of them in a testing role, in a reserve driver role and in a DTM role – so it’s not done yet.”

Ocon enters the final race of the GP3 season on Sunday with a six-point advantage over Luca Ghiotto.

Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice on top

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 27:  Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP drives during practice for the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at Yas Marina Circuit on November 27, 2015 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Nico Rosberg closed out practice for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the top of the timesheets after edging out Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton on Saturday afternoon at the Yas Marina Circuit.

Rosberg arrived in Abu Dhabi for the final race of the 2015 Formula 1 season chasing a third successive victory, and appears to be in the box seat ahead of qualifying later today after setting the pace in both FP2 and FP3.

A fastest lap time of 1:41.856 was enough to give Rosberg P1 by almost three-tenths of a second in FP3 as Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton struggled to put together a clean flying lap, suffering two minor offs at the hairpin in the first sector.

Ferrari showed signs of an increased threat to Mercedes in FP3 as Sebastian Vettel finished just 0.040 seconds behind Hamilton in third place, bouncing back from a quiet Friday for the Italian marque.

Sergio Perez produced a fine flying lap to finish the session fourth for Force India, and his pace was underpinned by that of teammate Nico Hulkenberg in seventh as they were split by Kimi Raikkonen and Daniel Ricciardo.

Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas had another routine session en route to eighth and ninth for Williams, while Carlos Sainz Jr. made up for his stoppage on Friday by rounding out the top ten for Toro Rosso.

McLaren’s hopes of some points to finish the season were boosted once again in FP3 as Jenson Button finished 11th. Teammate Fernando Alonso was less fortunate, though, complaining of traffic on his way to 16th overall.

Pastor Maldonado and Felipe Nasr followed Button in P12 and P13, with Max Verstappen and Romain Grosjean finishing just behind. Marcus Ericsson had another difficult session, finishing 17th ahead only of the Manor drivers and Daniil Kvyat, who failed to post a lap time due to an electrical issue on his car.

Qualifying for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is live on CNBC from 8am ET on Saturday.