Photo: Chip Ganassi Racing

Ganassi confirms Briscoe for No. 8, Kanaan for No. 10 seats

1 Comment

Ryan Briscoe has been confirmed Friday as Chip Ganassi Racing’s fourth driver for the 2014 IndyCar season, although not in the No. 10 Target Chevrolet as had been forecast over the last week or so. Coupled with new baby Finley, born a few days ago, it’s been quite a week for Ryan and wife Nicole.

Instead, the Australian will run the same livery and number as he did for CGR in this year’s Indianapolis 500: the No. 8 NTT Data entry now with Chevrolet power instead of Honda. Tony Kanaan, who had been slated for that car and had additional Brazilian sponsors to help, will instead shift into the No. 10 Target car as Dario Franchitti’s replacement. The announcements were formalized at the Performance Racing Industry trade show in Indianapolis.

Briscoe returns full-time to IndyCar for the first time since 2012, when funding failed to materialize to stay in Roger Penske’s third car. He spent five full seasons with Team Penske, where he won all seven of his races, and nearly the 2009 championship. He spent his first full season in IndyCar with Ganassi in 2005, but the team’s equipment was under par and Briscoe had a wealth of learning to do as a rookie.

It’s a multi-year deal and another opportunity for Briscoe in one of the most prized rides in IndyCar.

“This is just great news and I can’t wait to get back behind the wheel of the No. 8 car again,” Briscoe said. “We built some great chemistry during the month of May this year with the whole crew. I think all four drivers can win races next season and it’s not every day you get to be a part of a team like that. For me personally it’s been an amazing last few days – this announcement coupled with the birth of our first child just a few days back. I couldn’t be happier right now.”

Ganassi added that Briscoe’s experience, technical expertise and prior familiarity with the team were the reasons he was the best available candidate.

“Honestly, it is always refreshing when you have partners that get the big picture and both Target and NTT DATA both understand that,” he said. “This is the best of both worlds. We not only get the driver that we wanted to add to our team in Ryan Briscoe but in addition we are able to put them in the cars that I felt were the most appropriate. The news couldn’t really be better for all of our teams.”

Kanaan, meanwhile, will take on the role of replacing Franchitti in the No. 10 Target car.

“I’m extremely excited, but this is a very bittersweet day for me as many of you know,” he said. “On one hand I’m driving for the Target Team and couldn’t be more thrilled about the possibilities for next season. On the other hand I’m taking over the seat my good friend Dario had to leave. I was looking forward to reuniting with him more than anything as a teammate. I want to thank NTT DATA, Target and TNT Energy drink for looking at the big picture and making adjustments so that Scott, Ryan, Charlie and I can go out and get the job done for all our partners on track next season. The teamwork that has been shown here is a true reflection of Chip’s style as an owner. I can’t wait to get started.”

These two are the team newcomers alongside Scott Dixon in the No. 9 Target car, and Charlie Kimball in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk CGR entry. While Dixon and Kanaan will be based in Indianapolis, the Briscoe and Kimball entries will be operated from the second CGR shop in Brownsburg.

Kanaan also brought his longtime engineer Eric Cowdin with him to Ganassi, while the No. 10 engineering post has long been held by Chris Simmons. Simmons and Franchitti, obviously, worked wonders together. Engineering announcements will be confirmed shortly, and this post updated at that time.

Here’s Kanaan’s new get-up in Target gear:

Folger to make MotoGP debut with Tech3 in 2017

JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA, SPAIN - APRIL 22: Jonas Folger of Germany and Dynavolt Intact GP  rounds the bend during the MotoGp of Spain - Free Practice at Circuito de Jerez on April 22, 2016 in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.  (Photo by Mirco Lazzari gp/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
Leave a comment

Yamaha Tech3 has confirmed that rising German talent Jonas Folger will make his MotoGP debut with the team in 2017, stepping up from Moto2.

Folger, 22, finished sixth in last year’s Moto2 riders’ championship, and already has one pole position and two podiums to his name after four races in 2016.

The Kalex rider will make the jump up to MotoGP for 2017, joining the Yamaha satellite team on a one-year deal with an option for a second.

“I am super excited about the news and I still can’t believe this is happening,” Folger said.

“I have been racing for years in the motorcycling world championship and to make the move up to the premier class is a dream come true plus I’d like to thank all my sponsors that have stuck by me all these years.

“Furthermore, it’s an honor to make this step with Yamaha, Hervé Poncharal and Tech3 team who have such a long and deep history in the paddock. I will try my absolute best to repay the faith the team has put in me, and I’m really looking forward to the new adventure.

“However, I will remain completely focused for the rest of the year in the intermediate class but I can’t wait for Valencia where I will sample the Yamaha YZR-M1 for the first time.”

Folger will get his first taste of the Tech3-run Yamaha bike at the traditional end of season MotoGP test in Spain this November.

Hamilton asks fans to trust and respect Mercedes team

SOCHI, RUSSIA - MAY 01:  Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes GP leaves the paddock after the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on May 1, 2016 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

Three-time Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton has called on his fans to trust and respect the Mercedes team amid unfounded allegations of sabotage in the past two races.

Hamilton suffered an issue on his power unit in qualifying for both the Chinese and Russian Grands Prix, helping teammate Nico Rosberg on his way to a streak of four successive victories to start the season.

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff responded to claims on social media that the team was deliberately hindering Hamilton’s efforts by calling the accusers “lunatics”, before Mercedes itself wrote an open letter to its fans in response to the claims.

Hamilton has now issued a message of his own via his Facebook page on Friday:

Dear All,

I want you to know how grateful I am for all of your support. I’d like to ask that you please trust in my team, as I do. This is my family. These guys have been the greatest, hardest working people for me, and that is why I am now 3x World Champion.

Please don’t put any more thought into my team doing anything unjust towards me, and understand that it would be in no ones best interest for that to be the case. We’ve had the best 3 years together, and whilst it’s not going to plan right now, all will unfold in its own time.

I trust these guys 1000% and my mechanics are incredible, the best in the business. I respect them so please do the same. They are the guys that are going to make winning this championship possible.

Thank you once again.

Hamilton will bid to end Rosberg’s winning streak and get back into the title hunt when F1 arrives in Europe next weekend for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Button confused by Red Bull’s decision to drop Kvyat

SOCHI, RUSSIA - APRIL 30: Jenson Button of Great Britain and McLaren Honda in the garage during final practice ahead of the Formula One Grand Prix of Russia at Sochi Autodrom on April 30, 2016 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images)
© Getty Images
1 Comment

2009 Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button questioned Red Bull’s decision to drop Daniil Kvyat for Max Verstappen as of the Spanish Grand Prix, saying the team has “short memories”.

Red Bull announced on Thursday that Kvyat would be returning to Toro Rosso, its B-team, as of the next race in Barcelona, with Verstappen moving in the opposite direction.

The decision sparked mixed reactions on social media, with many pointing out that Kvyat had been on the podium just three weeks ago in China.

Button made the exact same point in a couple of tweets sent from his Twitter account on Thursday.

IMS confirms 100th Indy 500 reserved seats are sold out

Indianapolis 500
Getty Images
1 Comment

Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials have confirmed Friday that the 100th Indianapolis 500 presented by PennGrade Motor Oil will have a sellout crowd, with confirmation all reserved seats have been sold.

“Every Indianapolis 500 is special, but the buzz surrounding the 100th Running has been building for nearly a year, ever since the checkered flag fell on the 99th,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said in a release. “Our fans are the best in sports and their incredible support of this year’s race will make it a truly historic day for ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.’”

Further information is linked here, via the IMS website.