Adrian Sutil hungry for podium finishes at Sauber

2 Comments

Six years into his Formula One career, Adrian Sutil has still not yet tasted champagne during an Formula One podium celebration. As he makes the switch from Force India to Sauber, the German is keen on changing that.

“I’m convinced that we will have a successful time – and I’m looking very much forward to my first podium,” Sutil said in a Q&A on F1’s official website. “Sauber have had some podiums in the past and that is exactly what I want.”

Lack of success getting into the Top 3 notwithstanding, Sutil has proven relatively reliable in gaining small chunks of points with the occasional big hauls such as his fifth-place run this year in Monaco.

However, while Sauber got more and more solid toward the end of 2013, the raft of changes coming to the cars in 2014 effectively wipes the slate clean. But Sutil said he simply needed new surroundings after spending his entire F1 life racing for the Force India/Spyker outfit.

“[Sauber and I] were in contact for a long time,” he said. “It had been my wish to have a change after six good years with Force India – and Sauber was my priority. My manager has been in contact with them since autumn – and around that time, I visited the factory in Hinwil [Switzerland] for the first time.”

Unconcerned about the matter of which teammate he would prefer at Sauber (“to be honest, I don’t care,” he says), Sutil also expressed his thanks to Force India for getting him back into the sport this past season following his 2012 conviction on aggravated assault charges.

“I have had a good and successful time with Force India,” he said of his now-former mates. “They gave me the chance to come back – and this fact will always have a special place in my heart.

“For sure, I will miss some of the guys there that have turned into friends over the years, but now I’m excited to be with my new team. Let’s see if it is true that new brooms sweep clean.”

Video highlights from Stage 12 of Dakar Rally, 2 stages remain

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Thursday’s Stage 12 of the 40th Dakar Rally not only closed the overall standings gap in at least two classes (cars and trucks), two other classes (bikes and quads) failed to get going due to weather conditions.

The full video highlights of Stage 12 will air on NBCSN on Friday at 7 pm ET, but here are some of the highlights from Thursday’s action:

CARS

2018 Dakar Rally: Nasser Al-Attiyah wins Stage 12 of cars

BIKES

 Stage 12 cancelled due to weather conditions

 

TRUCKS

Ton van Genugten edged out Martin Kolomy in Stage of, while Federico Villagra and Eduard Nikolaev both faced an uphill battle to finish fourth and third respectively.

QUADS

Even though the Quads were also impacted by weather issues on Thursday, Ignacio Casale, the 2014 Dakar winner, continues to make his case for a second overall victory in the quads.