NASCAR’s Stefanyshyn: New rules package is not the “final solution”

Leave a comment

In a teleconference that took place shortly after NASCAR released its 2014 Sprint Cup rules package, the series’ vice president of innovation and racing development, Gene Stefanyshyn, stressed that it was just step one in a process of improving the racing with the Generation 6 cars.

With the 2014 season set to unofficially kick off early next month with the Preseason Thunder test sessions at Daytona, Stefanyshyn said that NASCAR was limited by timing in regards to how many changes it felt it could pull off with the package. As a result, he said that “it shouldn’t be construed that [the package] is the final solution.”

“The amount of flexibility we had given timing was not as great as we have say working on [2015], we’ve got a whole year ahead of us,” he said. “So this is really the first installment in a journey towards a continual improvement process in regards to our race product.”

Stefanyshyn explained tweaks to the chassis set-up for the 2014 season that eliminates light springs used to bring the car to inspection height and how heavier springs in the front end will keep teams from having to load the entire car on its suspension. He hopes that these changes will provide a more stable car for drivers in the middle of traffic.

He also took reporters through the elimination of the pre and post-race front height rules. Cars will remain on blocks during the inspection process but when those get off the blocks, teams will then change the car to what he called “race attitude.”

“If they want to drop the front end of the car down to half an inch, they’re able to do that,” he said. “If they want to drop it to 1.5 inches, they’re able to do that. So we’re actually letting them put the car in more of a race position.

“Because what happens when the car is sitting there statically at 4.25 inches, as soon as it gets on the track, the downforce on that car drives the front end down towards the track anyway. But then what happens is that front end tends to bounce and load and unload, and this is how you get some of the instability.”

Downforce should be increased with the implementation of a bigger radiator pan and rear spoiler, the latter of which will have its top two inches in clear Lexan for visibility purposes. Speed should also go up thanks to the changes, so the RPMs will be brought down slightly to a planned maximum range of 9,300 to 9,400 – which according to Stefanyshyn should end up as a cut between four and six percent.

Interesting to note is the lack of a tapered spacer on the 2014 rules package, which would have resulted in lower horsepower on the Cup cars. Stefanyshyn said the option is still on the table for 2015, but that the aforementioned timing issues played a role in them deciding not to use it now.

“We’d like to be able to do perhaps three things at once, and we think we can come up with a more robust solution that can serve us better in the longer run,” he said. “So this is something I think we are going to definitely look at for ’15.”

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”