Gutierrez returns for second season at Sauber

Leave a comment

Esteban Gutierrez has been confirmed to a second season at Sauber, which ends a several-month long saga about his future in the team.

The Mexican rookie came on in the second half of 2013, even though he failed to match highly rated teammate Nico Hulkenberg in the lead car. His only points finish was a seventh place result at Suzuka, but there were several races where Gutierrez came up just shy.

Gutierrez said after the year he deserved to stay in F1, and was thrilled to end the waiting game on Friday.

“I am happy to be able to continue as a driver for the Sauber F1 Team,” he said in a team statement. “It was a steep learning curve last season, but by working closely with the team I was able to improve continuously. It will be my fourth year with the team, the second as a racing driver, and I feel comfortable in taking the next step.

“The technical challenges in 2014 will be massive. Therefore, it will be even more important to know well the people you are working with. I will do my very best to improve even more and support the team the best way I can.”

Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn described the decision to retain Gutierrez rather than take a risk on a second new driver into the team. Adrian Sutil signed last week from Force India to be Sauber’s first 2014 driver.

“We are pleased Esteban will drive for us in 2014, because we believe he is a talented young racing driver,” she said. “Last season, he experienced first hand how hard it can be for a rookie to step into Formula One. Nevertheless, throughout the season he improved significantly in qualifying as well as in the races and finished the year as the best rookie in the drivers’ championship.

“Often, the results didn’t fully reflect his performances. I am confident Esteban will be able to use his experiences to gain results, and this will be helped by the fact he is very well acquainted with every member of the race team.”

With Gutierrez’s return to Sauber, one of his biggest backers – Mexican telecommunications company Telmex – will also stay with the team as a partner.

Earlier this year, a Russian consortium of investors was brought in to help secure Sauber’s financial future. As part of that rescue package, the plan was to install Russian teenager Sergey Sirotkin in one of the team’s two cars. Sirotkin has still not earned his requisite FIA Superlicense and likely will undertake a reserve role, instead.

Gutierrez was one of several drivers who could have slotted in had Sirotkin been named to one seat. A Gutierrez-Sirotkin lineup would have been one of the least experienced on the grid. As it turned out, the team opted for a veteran hand in Sutil to lead the team and now will have one bit of consistency carrying over into 2014 with Gutierrez returning.

This signing also drops the number of remaining seats on the 2014 grid down to three. The second Marussia and two Caterham drivers are yet to be named.

Kubica, di Resta complete Williams F1 tests in Hungary

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta have both completed one-day tests for Williams in a 2014-spec Formula 1 car as part of the team’s evaluation for its 2018 line-up.

Williams is known to be considering a number of drivers to partner Lance Stroll at the team next year, including existing racer Felipe Massa.

Massa is thought to be going up against Kubica and di Resta for the 2018 drive, with the latter duo taking part in a private test at the Hungaroring in Budapest this week to aid the team’s evaluation.

After missing out on a 2018 Renault drive due to lingering questions about his physical condition six years after his rally accident, Kubica tested for Williams at Silverstone last week before getting back behind the wheel of the 2014 FW36 car in Hungary on Tuesday.

Kubica’s test was called “productive” by Williams, with the Pole handing duties over to Mercedes DTM racer di Resta on Wednesday.

Di Resta raced in F1 with Force India between 2010 and 2013 before returning to DTM, but made a surprise return at this year’s Hungarian Grand Prix with Williams when Massa was taken ill. Di Resta impressed on short notice, putting himself in contention for a full-time return to F1 in 2018.

Williams has one of the few remaining seats on offer in F1 for 2018, with Massa’s future known to be in question after a quiet campaign thus far.

The Brazilian had been due to retire from F1 at the end of last year, only for Williams to recall him after Valtteri Bottas’ late move up to Mercedes following Nico Rosberg’s surprise retirement.

Massa has made clear he would like to keep racing in F1 next year, but only if the deal is right and if Williams is determined to keep him.

While Massa, Kubica and di Resta appear to be the three leading contenders for the seat, Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe made clear in Japan there was a “large range” of drivers under consideration.

“You’ve probably seen a number of names that are floating around that we’re looking at, but honestly, the range is almost unlimited,” Lowe said.

“We will consider all ideas. We’re not in a super hurry to do so, and we’ll just make sure we land the best line-up we can.”